Chapter 32

"Cody."

The rider slowly sat up, making the bed groan beneath him.

"Cody, it's time to get up. The others have returned with the patrol," Inferno said.

"I'm coming," Cody answered wearily. He felt Inferno relax a bit as he withdrew from the close contact with his rider's mind.

The past few days had put Inferno a bit on edge as many questioned whether his newly-hatched daughter, self-named Saga, was a blessing for the peace of Dragons and Dreamkeepers or a curse, a sign of trouble to come. Of all the history books and legends, an albino dragon was entirely unheard of. Even in this land, where all the history of the Dragon Warriors was recorded. As a result, the hatchling dragon was feared, hated, and greatly ignored and avoided. Inferno took it the hardest; as many chose to suggest that it meant the dragons should have remained extinct and cursed Saga as the leader of a new generation of the "vile creatures".

The queen was the only one that defended them, or they all would have been forced to leave. Destiny and Inferno, most of all, had been dreading the day the patrol would arrive with the refugees, wondering if the sight of them would either change the queen's mind or convince the other Dreamkeepers to stage a rebellion.

When Blackscales walked into the main hall together, they saw hundreds of elves, humans, dwarves, and wolves feasting on old dishes of mushrooms, lean cat meat, and bits of fruit the size of a grown man's torso, as well as some collections of meat from squirrels, geese, even bats. At the back of the hall by the thrones was Destiny, her tail curled protectively around her child. Saga's snowy white scales blended with the golden, sunny warmth of Destiny's in the flickering torchlight. Next to them, Queen Blissful gestured for Cody and Inferno to join. Cody sat in a low chair beside her while Inferno slunk into the shadows behind his family, nearly disappearing when his eyes closed for a moment.

"And these are your people," Blissful said calmly, breaking the tension. Cody caught a glimmer of humor in her eyes.

He took the time to think as he ate a bite of some venison, then answered grimly, "Yes. I'm sure they've seen better days...."

"Days huddled away in little shacks struggling to survive. Until Whitescales happened, and now they are all forced to try a second time to live. We've given them food, shelter, and their journey has given them a purpose. Truly that, is better than their previous lives, whether they know it or not."

"Your majesty," Cody commented, "I'm certain they just want their normal lives back."

There was silence, and Cody had an opportunity to continue eating for a while, silently looking over the weak and scrawny crowd before him. The dragon refugees and their riders were hiding well in a corner at the opposite end of the hall.

"Whatever it is that they want, I'll make sure that they are well provided for, for the sake of peace," Queen Blissful said. "For that, I will need you to show the people that you can be trusted. The ceremony is being planned already, and as soon as you'll allow, it will be prepared for us."

Cody chewed and swallowed slowly before asking, "And what ceremony is this?"

The queen looked at him calmly, "A ceremony for you, Inferno, and those other four to pledge fealty to me, if you'll allow it. I will understand if you refuse, but we need to settle this feud as soon as possible. Talk to Inferno, if you must."

Cody nodded and instantly alerted the dragon to what she had said. "Inferno, she has a point, doesn't she? I think it's a good idea."

"Yes, but keep in mind we still barely know her. We can't be so ready to promise our lives to anyone without thought. But she has a valid point, we can't sit idly by and hope tensions ease by themselves," Inferno grumbled, disturbed. "Then again, I imagine the Dreamkeepers would be even more disturbed if we joined them, if they so vehemently want us gone. They need to know that we want to be friends, and assured that we won't destroy their way of life from the inside. Us pledging fealty to their queen would only make them more wary of her."