Chapter 18

“Get your vile paws off me!”

The three twolegs that had been approaching Inferno backed off suddenly. The past five days that Inferno had been with them he didn’t learn much, but he did learn that they were taking him to his rider, they were healing him, and they could speak to him using thoughts. Because of these things he trusted them enough to follow without complaint, as long as they stayed away from him. But even if he did struggle it would be of little use.

When he had woken up from being attacked by the giant bear, he found that the strangers had secured him and Destiny with thick iron muzzles that wrapped all the way around their skulls; strapped their wings down with iron chains, even though inferno couldn’t fly off anyway; and had secured iron harnesses around their bodies with a dozen or so chains hanging off them. On the end of each chain there was always one of the strange-looking gryphons with harnesses of their own being led by the twolegs, or trees when they slept every other night.

Currently, Inferno and Destiny were being led along by the gryphons while Ashheart trailed behind, being led by merely two gryphons and with only thick ropes to bind him, though an unusually strong leather muzzle kept his jaws shut tight. The three were beginning to feel weak: their captors had not given them anything to eat, and even though they could handle it, they were beginning to feel the effects of hunger.

A shadow passed over the sky, making everyone look up in surprise. To Inferno’s great displeasure, he realized that they were more gryphons. At least five passed that he could see before they looped around and began to attempt a landing in the thick forest.

“More of the strange men,” Destiny growled to Inferno and Ashheart, filling their minds with her lyrical voice.

Inferno snorted but replied optimistically, “It is Possible that they bring news of our riders. Let them speak first.”

“And if they do not speak to us?” Ashheart inquired.

“Then we’ll make them,” Destiny answered with a growl that only the other two could hear.

The gryphons descended slowly above the trees and landed quietly to a stop at the head of the large group. The leader of their company wore a cape of feathers and sat astride a forest-green gryphon with six others following. Three of the newcomers, Inferno noticed, had an unusual but welcoming feel about them, but he ignored them and focused on the caped one, who as clearly the leader. The leader swung his leg over the gryphon’s shoulders and slid down before approaching the leader of the other company.

The leader of Inferno’s group bowed to the newcomer, saying “Willful! Please forgive me, but we were not expecting to see you again until we returned.”

The newcomer nodded and answered, “And I did not expect to return. The queen saw fit that I return to speed up your march however I can. I would have been here sooner, but the clouds obscured the forest floor from view most of the time, and it was nearly impossible to spot anything even when we flew right over the treetops.”

“We would be happy to have you, though I do not know how you would grant us greater speed.”

Willful nodded. “You would go much faster if you could fly back, and that’s what I intend to help with.”

The other man was clearly confused, but he kept his questions to himself as the newcomer walked around the gryphons and approached Inferno, Destiny, and Ashheart. Inferno growled a warning when he came within ten feet, but he took another long stride before stopping. Inferno lowered his muzzled head to eye level and blew smoke in Willful’s face. The twoleg only shook his head to rid it of smoke and continued watching Inferno.

After a while Willful thought to him, “I did not get much of a chance to speak with or observe you before, Dragon.”

“I am Inferno,” the dragon growled. “What have you done with my rider?”

Willful shook his head, “I am disappointed in you. I had hoped we could have met in friendship.”

“What have you done with him!? Speak or I’ll crush you beneath my paws!”

“Oh calm down,” Willful said calmly. “You know you can’t do that. Your rider is safe in our dungeons awaiting your safe return.”

Inferno Burst forward with all his strength, making the gryphons holding him squawk with alarm as they were thrust forward. The dragon dove paw-first towards the strange man with nothing but thoughts of murder and destruction on his mind. While Willful was surprised by his strength, he quickly drew a dagger from within his shirt and swung at Inferno. The blade met with incredible force on his scales. It did not penetrate Inferno’s thick armor, but the force behind it caught the dragon himself by surprise and he tumbled into the dirt. Willful leaped to the dragon’s side and pressed the blade to the side of the neck where it would not kill him to puncture, but would still hurt.

“Please Dragon. If you cooperate, I may let you and your rider live long enough to reach death’s door together.”

Inferno glared at him with extreme hatred simmering in the depths of his icy eyes, but he remained silent and still as yet more gryphons were tied to his harness and some of the twolegs approached him with lances and polearms ready in their hands. Destiny and Ashheart looked on fearfully.