Chapter 30

There was a hideously loud screeching sound as the swords collided inches from Cody's face. Prowess was so much stronger than Cody, but the dragon rider's veins were pumped so full of adrenaline that he nearly disarmed the Dreamkeeper. He attacked in a vicious flurry of blows, his eyes never leaving the murderous gaze of his enemy. With a flick he nicked the foe's wrist, but still they battled on without pause.

The adrenaline wore off, but Cody continued to fight with a burning desire. He couldn't tell if he was trying to defend Mournful or just kill Prowess at this point, or both, but as he continued to fight he grew angrier at his opponent. He was angry that he was so ready and willing to betray Mournful. He was angry that his regret seemed so miniscule. He was angry that Mournful had chosen Prowess over him. But most of all, he was angry that Prowess had made her fall for him, and betrayed her for the sake of such a king that would refuse the people most desperately in need.

He barely noticed as his sword struck home in Prowess's gut. The Dreamkeeper's eyes squeezed shut and he grunted in pain as Cody pulled the sword back out. The injured man clutched at the gaping hole in his torso, blood coating his fingers before dripping down into the dirt. Within moments he, too, was coughing up blood.

But, to Cody's horror, Mournful tore past him and fell to Prowess's side, yelling his name as she tore off one of the ribbons of her shirt, balled it up, and pressed it to the wound. Some of the younger Dreamkeepers that had joined on the patrol rushed over to help Willful and Prowess with their injuries, while Cody watched the scene with anger burning in his crystalline eyes. Mournful whispered something to one of the Dreamkeepers, and the Dreamkeeper trotted quickly over to Cody, though the reluctance and fear was clear in her eyes.

"Mournful says I am to...lead the dragons and riders back, and she will help the wolf-riders and people back on foot until we send back help."

Cody, unsure of his ability to utter a complete sentence without roaring in fury, simply nodded for her to continue. Inferno's own eyes blazed with rage, though he contained his much better, since his anger was second-hand. Cody pulled himself into Inferno's saddle in silence as the young Dreamkeeper woman mounted her gryphon and all the riders did the same with their dragons. Cody was relieved to see Goldscales on one side and Fril and her dragon on the other as they took off into the sky, regretfully leaving Omen and Ashheart to stay with the ground team.

"Just sleep, Cody," Inferno soothed, "We shall be at the mountain by midnight."

Cody reluctantly did as he was told and leaned forward against Inferno's dark, warm neck, falling asleep almost instantly.

~

When Cody woke to the gentle prodding of Inferno's thoughts he found that much of his anger had dissipated. His thoughts turned immediately to the new riders, and the group of refugees still travelling to the mountain by foot, step by little step. He would plead for their case no matter the cost, though he dreaded what the cost might be.

Inferno touched down lightly on the cave floor, Thunder and Destiny slipping in silently behind him. They landed just in time for Cody to see a group carefully pull the king and Prowess down from their gryphons and down the tunnel to the Healers' chambers. One of the patrollers stopped to tell some of the curious onlookers what had happened, and one ran off to tell the queen.

Cody slid down from Inferno's back and landed softly on the ground, though the fall was twice his height. He straightened just in time to see a warrior two feet taller than him strut his way to Cody and stare him down.