THIRTY-ONE: Embrace

Marie shakes out soft sobs as she avoid's George's eye contact. She grits her teeth, trying anything to make this embarrassing moment end.

George had no idea what to say to the sobbing mess in front of him. He can feel his heart braking the longer he stands there, just watching.

He couldn't take it anymore. George quickly goes behind the counter almost hopping over it. As he does so, he nocks the paper work the woman was reading to the floor.

Maybe I should try out parkour. He jokes sarcastically in his head.

Marie's eyes still spill with salty water as she watches George jump over the counter. A confused expression is all she can give; she can't talk right now.

George still doesn't have the foggiest idea as to what he should say to comfort Marie. All he can do is gently rap his arms around her.

The women gasps as he does so, but doesn't pull away. They stood like that for awhile. The longer George embraced the woman the more her sobs seemed to calm.

It was working.

George sighed with relief when the woman's sobs turned into small sniffles. He didn't let go. He could tell she was very much comforted by the contact; she clearly still needed a hug.

He wanted to help. So that's what he did. The woman hadn't said or moved since George had first held her. She seemed almost frozen when; her sniffling finally stoped.

George started to blush just a little as he was reminded how close he was to the girl. The hug was ended just as gently as when embrace had started.

The women's eyes were glued to the floor.

Did I do the wrong thing? Is she uncomfortable? Oh, I definitely should have asked before I did that. Yes he should have. What if she's frozen in fear and that's what had stopped her tears. Maybe it wasn't the embrace that had done it?

Just as his thoughts were taking a major negative turn, the girl spoke up.

"Thank you." She said, voice horse and small. George only nodded and then stared at the girl.

He wanted to talk to her about the whole situation. He wanted details. He wanted to help, but also wanted to spill some tea.

The girl sighed, feeling George's eyes on her. She knew she'd have to explain. She wanted to, in fact, but felt like it was too personal for a stranger. She wanted to talk to one of her close friends or maybe just William.

I guess he'll do, he already knows a lot as is. Marie thought to herself.

"You wanna go get coffee at the cafe down the street? Then maybe we could talk about it then? I really need some caffeine in me." She smiled a little at the end.

I'm such an attic.

Her smile faded when her mind went to the actual attics that were William's friends.

Sensing the change in mood, George spoke quickly trying to get the woman out of her own head. He knows what it's like to have spiraling thoughts.

"Hey! That sounds like a great idea. I haven't ate anything all day. Maybe we could get a bite to eat too?" George said with a warm smile.

Marie nods and returns the smile.
-
WC: 554