Chapter 2 : A Bad Day Gets Worse

Jason's POV

Jason's world wasn't right anymore, and he could tell that Annabeth was thinking the same, which was why he stormed out of the bar with her after Reyna kissed that pirate.

Something bugged Jason about that pirate. There was something so familiar about her, but he knew that couldn't be. There was no way that the Prince of England knew a pirate personally.

When Jason was four, his sister disappeared. She'd been kidnapped by pirates on her way home. Jason had never cried more than when his father had told him what had happened.

Another thing that disturbed Jason was how Reyna had spoken to the pirate, the way she'd emphasised the word "grace", as if she was making some clever joke.

Could it be?

Reyna was smart and incredibly gifted, but was she smart enough to have found out who he was?

And if she really did know he was the prince, why hadn't she mentioned it before?

One of Reyna's main principles was the truth, and trusting people enough to tell it. Then again, after the scenes in the bar, how could he tell how much of what she'd told him was true?

He continued to follow Annabeth, registering that Leo, Frank and Hazel were following them as well, though none of them knew their way around the pirate island.

Soon though, they found a bench and sat down, none of them daring to speak.

Jason was angry, but he wasn't about to speak, not when he saw Annabeth's face, which held an expression of pure and unfiltered rage.

He knew why. Pirates had killed Annabeth's mother, and ever since then, she'd harboured a grudge against them, a grudge that Reyna didn't trust, which was why Jason was Reyna's right hand.

"Does anyone know what the fuck just happened?" Annabeth asked after a few moments of silence, her voice calm, though the anger behind it was evident.

Jason had never understood why Reyna didn't trust Annabeth's grudge, but now, after seeing her kiss a pirate, and hearing the anger in her voice, he did.

Annabeth seemed to be on the verge of killing them and everyone else on the island.

"Honestly, I haven't got a clue." Jason sighed, trying to calm himself.

"W- why would Reyna b- be k- kissing a p- pirate?" Hazel sounded betrayed and on the verge of tears.

"She knows all of us have issues with pirates, why would she ever decide to do that?" Frank wondered aloud.

"Maybe it was just part of her cover?" Leo suggested, though the tone in his voice made it evident that it was an empty suggestion.

They had all heard the way the two spoke to one another, as if they were old friends, as if they'd been in love with each other for as long as time.

"She did that because they've been seeing each other much longer than you've known Reyna." Katie said, suddenly appearing out of nowhere.

"What about you then?" Annabeth shouted. "You decided it was ok to dance with a pirate!"

"Yeah, well maybe I've known that pirate since I was seven and loved him since I was twelve!" Katie yelled back, which took everyone by surprise.

Jason had never heard Katie yell, at least not in the year he'd known her.

"Wha- how?" Annabeth looked confused, but still angry.

"It's like Reyna said! Not all pirates are murderous bastards! Just because your mom was killed by one doesn't mean every pirate is the same!" Katie continued to yell, looking incredibly angry.