Bonus Chapter : War Planning Woes

Annabeth's POV

The group of four made their way into what the pirates had called the Big House.

"Ah... I can't say I wasn't expecting you." Chiron spoke. "I'll leave you to it."

"You sure Chiron? We could use your help." Annabeth was shocked at the way Percy spoke. He sounded almost disheartened.

Chiron trotted towards Percy with a warm smile and placed his hands on on Percy's shoulders. "My dear boy, you have all of the knowledge you need for this, not just with your friends, but also up there." Chiron's voice was soft and calm as he pointed towards Percy's head. "My fighting days are over, as are now my days of doing anything other than taking care of Camp. The four of you combined have no need for my old mind."

"But-" Percy began, but was cut off by Chiron raising his hand.

"Furthermore, I will be of no use to you, as I have no knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of your new crew members." That shut Percy up. "If you ever require advice, I will always be here for you, but this is something you kids need to do by yourselves."

Annabeth was both heartbroken by Percy's expression and heart warmed by Chiron's words of encouragement. It was instantly clear how much the centaur meant to Percy. He was much more than just some supervisor, he was a father figure to Percy, and probably the rest of Thalia's crew as well. 

"Da- Chiron..." Percy's voice broke.

"I know, my boy." Annabeth couldn't stand how much the conversation sounded like a final goodbye. "You are more powerful than you could possibly imagine, and this crew- this family, is your greatest strength, as well as your anchor."

Percy said nothing in reply. All he could muster was a gulp.

"I leave you with this: when it comes down to that final fight, you and Kronos, show no mercy." Chiron's voice suddenly turned stern and his eyes piercing.

"Won't we see you again before we leave?" Thalia asked. Annabeth was glad that she had spoken, because she was sure that if Percy had talked, he would've completely broken down.

"I hope so, but I doubt we will be this alone then, and there might be some who disagree with my words." With one final, wide smile, Chiron hugged Percy and left the room.

Moments later, Percy collapsed onto on of the couches in the room, head in his hands.

"We'll get everything we need for this, you deal with your boy." For one, Annabeth didn't mind the tease, especially due to the soft voice Reyna had used to deliver it.

"Hey..." Annabeth began, sitting down next to Percy and not really knowing where to begin.

Suddenly, Percy collapsed sideways and fell into lap. "M- maybe it would've been a better idea to just go to sleep." He swallowed.

"It's easy to think that, but you heard him, we need you, more than you think."

"You really believe him?" Percy asked, hope returning into his voice.

"I do, but that doesn't really matter. What matters is if you believe him." Annabeth whispered, placing a hand on Percy's shoulder and another scratching his raven coloured hair. "He's like a father to you, isn't he?" She asked, when Percy didn't reply.

"Yeah..." He trailed off for a moment, "I guess he is."

As Thalia and Reyna reentered the room, Annabeth pushed Percy's shoulder slightly. "Come on, Seaweed Brain, we got a war to plan, which means you get to spend the entire night awake with your favourite person."

"Eliana's here?" Percy turned to Annabeth with a sly smile through his slightly teary face.

Relief washed over Annabeth as his humour returned. "Piss off." She chuckled, shoving him off her lap and onto the floor.

"Owwwwww." Percy moaned in fake hurt.

"Oh don't be such a crybaby." Annabeth rolled her eyes, holding her hand out and pulling him up.

As he got to his feet, Percy suddenly engulfed Annabeth in a hug, shocking her for a moment before she hugged back. "Thank you. I love you." Percy whispered.

Thankfully, Annabeth didn't truly realise what Percy had said until she fell asleep in the big house with the other three, many, many, hours later.