Chapter 15

Edge to Disaster

It hasn't been easy after the fiasco with the Snowraiths. Everyone was on edge, but at the same time, it was quiet. Hiccup had to assume that no news was good news, so when Astrid hasn't got any details from Heather in a while, it most likely meant nothing was going on. In the meantime, the riders started gathering supplies and built watch towers to look out for any Dragon Hunters' boats that might have sailed the coast line. With Dagur knowing where the Edge was, Hiccup had to assume the hunters knew as well. The riders took shifts for lookout, some took it seriously and reported nothing while others didn't take it so seriously and neglected their duties. Astrid had a problem with this obviously as she discovered the twins left dummies—or as the twins called it, "scareships"—in place of their shift to goof off with their dragon. While Astrid's lecturing went through one ear and out the other with the biological twin, Hiccup had received a distress Terror Mail from Trader Johann. The Dragon Hunters were attacking his ship apparently and not too far from where they are. He had to leave Astrid and the twins behind while they were still working out their differences. Hiccup felt guilty that Astrid was left in a sticky situation with them, but the message was urgent.

All she could do was glare, but sighed, "I wish she was here. She knows how to handle them better than I do."

"We both do, Astrid," Hiccup agreed, "We still haven't heard any word of [Name]. We need to hold our own until she gets back."

With a few goodbyes, Hiccup, Snotlout, and Fishlegs were off on their dragons to rescue the trader while Astrid was stuck with the twins for a few days, hoping they weren't going to get any visitors while they were short-handed. Half-way through the journey, Hiccup received another Terror Mail, one he didn't recognize to be one of his own. He and the other two found a small island to rest while they decipher the late message.

Turn back, it said. Do not linger far from home.

"What does it mean?" Fishlegs asked after Hiccup read the message out loud.

"Maybe, we intercepted a message from one of the Hunters," Snotlout shrugged, "They knew we were coming and wants to turn tail."

"I don't think it's a retrieval message for them, Snotlout," Hiccup concluded, "I think this note was really meant for us." He eyed at the bottom of the note were an initial was signed. The letter "P" was the only clue Hiccup had to know who had sent the letter. Was this a warning signal or a threat from the Hunters? Either way, the situation has caught Hiccup's attention.

"Why would someone send a note to go back?" Fishlegs asked.

"I don't have a good feeling about it," Hiccup sighed, "For now, we need to help Johann, then as soon as we take care of him, we fly back to the Edge."

They managed to find Johann quickly after their small landing but not surrounded by Dragon Hunters like the letter said, he was being attacked by wild dragons and ones that are usually docile when left alone. After a little banter of why the dragons could be attacking, the riders managed to distract and chase off some of the dragons up until Fishlegs was snatched off of Meatlug's saddle by a Monstrous Nightmare to the nearby island. Hiccup, Snotlout, and Johann had to regroup at the edge of the island and walk on foot in search of Fishlegs. All the while, they talked about what they observed from the encounter. Hiccup noticed the dragons were common but were much more aggressive even as wild dragons. They were only interested in chasing off or terrorizing humans. The riders and Johann came to a ledge where they've entered the den. A lot of them looked like they came back to rest and some interacted with each other. Eventually, they found Fishlegs in the middle of dragons being sniffed by each one that took an interest in him. He would flinch from any movement they would make.