Chapter 4

Night of the Hunters (Part 1) pt. one

You growled and sighed to yourself as the ancestors above you was arguing nonstop. You kept silent as well as the Guardian of Space. You knew what they were trying to do; stalling. They knew it irritated you to have your title delayed. Your mother was dismissed again, so she couldn't help in this situation. You needed a talk with her once the meeting is over with.

You gasped as a vision flashed before your eyes. It showed Astrid floating on a log in the middle of the ocean. You turned away and began rushing away to the grand doors.

"Where are you going? We're not done here."

You turned to the Guardian of Space with a glare. "Might as well be done," you shouted, "You won't give me the title anyways." You opened the doors and rushed down the hall to your mother where she waited.

"[Name]," she gasped your name in surprise.

"Please, I need to go. My friend is in trouble," you panted to her in a panic.

"How do you know?" your mother asked.

"I had a vision. My friend, Astrid, is in trouble. I must go," you rushed.

She hesitated before nodding her head. "Alright," she stepped aside and held out her hand. A white glow illuminated from her hand and grew in size to a portal. "But as soon as you know she's alright, come back here. We have some things to discuss."

You nodded and jumped into the portal.

You saw Hiccup, Toothless, and Fishlegs standing outside and conversing about Astrid. From what you heard, it sounds like Fishlegs was trying to make Hiccup feel better.

"Thank you for trying to make me feel better," Hiccup stopped him, "but this is different. Something is wrong I can feel it. And it doesn't help that [Name] is gone too. She told me when she left but it's taking longer than she expected."

"Hiccup!" you interrupted in a panic.

He turned to you. "[Name], you're back."

"It's not good, Hiccup. Astrid is in trouble." You felt your eyes began to tear up. "We need to get to her, now."

You felt two hands on your shoulders. You looked up with glossy eyes and into forest green eyes. "We will, [Name], but we need to know where she is."

You shook your head and bowed your head again. "I don't know where she is, but I saw her floating in the middle of the ocean."

He nodded to Fishlegs who went to get everyone ready for a search party. When he was gone, he cupped both of your cheeks and raised your head. You looked into his eyes. You saw his eyes scream out worry but assurance as well. "Everything will be alright, [Name]," he whispered to you. He bent your neck a little bit to peck you on the forehead. You would have appreciate it more if it weren't for the situation.

"Let's hope so."

~.~.~

The storm was pouring down hard. It didn't help when the rain made it hard to see. Your hair clung to your face and neck. Your clothes were soaked to the bone. Everyone had the same problem as the flew over the huge ocean. Hiccup lead the search party and stopped at a general area, giving commands to the group.

"We'll go different directions," Hiccup started, "We'll head south." Your grip on him tightened around is waist."

Almost immediately, Snotlout interjected, "No. I should head south."

You and Hiccup turned to him with a skeptical look. "And, why is that?" Hiccup asked.

Knowing Snotlout, he probably just want to 'be the hero' in Astrid's eyes.

"Because Astrid like to fly south," Snotlout said, "and she'll obviously be expecting me to rescue her."

You and Hiccup looked at each other and rolled your eyes. "Like he said, we'll fly south," you dismissed.

"Rain, wind, all of us splitting up," you heard Tuffnut say, "sounds like the perfect opportunity for a rogue sea beast to leap from the depths of the ocean and pick us off. One by one."

You sighed in defeat while Hiccup turned Toothless around to face the group. "All right, gang, let's go find her."

Fishlegs and the twins split up without complaint, but Snotlout stayed. "She's going to be so sad when you two rescue her instead of me."

"Oh, don't worry," you said as you rolled your eyes, "We'll tell her it was all you."

"You'd do that for me?" he asked surprised.

You gave him a deadpan look.

Hiccup chuckled, "Ignore him."

Hiccup steered Toothless south as you looked over Toothless' body to see any signs for Astrid.

"I'll ride Toothless. You just see if Astrid is anywhere," he directed.

"Been on it, and nothing," you sighed in defeat, "This storm doesn't help either."

Hiccup slowed down Toothless. "Toothless," he called his dragon.

As if Toothless read his mind, the dragon sent sound waves to detect movement or sound. The waves bounced of the cliffs but nothing.

"Still nothing," Hiccup breathed.

He flew Toothless up and you had to hold onto Hiccup tighter while you gasped from the unexpected change in altitude.

"Hiccup," you growled.

"Sorry," he apologized while briefly looking back at you, "It's just I can't find her."

If possible, you grip tighten more in worry this time. "Hiccup, what if it's too late?" you hesitated, "What if she--?"

"No. I refuse to believe that," Hiccup interrupted, almost angrily, thinking the same thought.

You looked down in guilt. You didn't mean to think that way of your friend. It's just the vision you had was unexpected and terrifying. You never would have expected Astrid to get in a situation like this. You thought of her as stealthy and smart-witted. Never in a million years would you have thought Astrid would be in trouble.

A touch of Hiccup's hand from where you held his torso interrupted your thoughts. You looked up to him while he faced forward. "We'll find her. I know we will." You held his hand in return in acknowledgement. He flew Toothless down farther south. "She's gotta be out here somewhere."

Out of the corner of your eye, you saw movement. "Hiccup," you called over the wind. He looked over to where you were pointing. Just as he looked, the hand you saw before was gone. He flew Toothless over where you pointed at but saw nothing.

"[Name], I don't see anything--"

Just as he finished his sentence, you jumped off of Toothless and into the water where you saw Astrid disappeared at.

Word Count: 1072

Status: Unedited