1

Hello readers! I'm back with another dnf fanfic! I just wanna clarify a couple things before you start reading.

I will be using real names, because when I asked, most of you said you prefer real names because it's more realistic. I will tie in some of their ign names like I did with A Kingdom if Untold Truths and its sequel.

This chapter is a setup chapter btw(like the first chapter of AKOUT), so sorry if it's kind of uneventful(it's meant to be that way). It's more of an informative chapter.

Oh, and this story is a medieval au, like all of my other royal au books. Also, this is definitely a slow-ish burn. I know I said that in my other book and changed my mind, but I'm not lying this time.

Read the description for the summary before you start. TWS LOCATED THERE

ALSO- this has been edited

Happy reading! :)

--------------------

Clay's POV

"Shit," Clay muttered, picking up his pace, "shitshitshit."

His boots padded quickly on the castle's tiled floor, echoing in the large hall. He lengthened his strides, heading for the castle steps.

He was late, yet again.

Clay was always late for everything, but this time it was important because today was the day. The day, the one when the visiting kingdoms were arriving.

Foreign horns sounded from outside the castle walls and Clay cursed again. He ran a clammy hand through his hair and thought in frustration, Why is this castle so damn big?

Clay reached the castle doors and pushed them open, the bright sun blinding him temporarily. His steps were rushed as he descended the stairs to stand by his family.

It was the perfect day, one of those days that was too nice, too calm. Clay preferred more dismal weather, like the rain or just a cloudy day. Not a day like today. Where clouds sparsely dotted the cerulean sky and the wind was too gentle. The day was warm, overwhelmingly so in his stuffy attire.

Clay's mother had made sure he wore the most humiliating clothes.

She had said, 'Clay, don't fuss. It's an important day. You need to look presentable.'

Clay scoffed at the memory. Presentable? More like a literal present. His dark leather boots, gleamed in the sunlight, were polished to perfection. They were stiff and uncomfortable to stand in, Clay not having worn them ever before. In fact, his whole outfit was uncomfortable. His brown pants were pressed and felt like paper against his legs. He wore a forest green shirt, it's sleeves puffing out slightly and its collar digging into his neck.

Clay swallowed, feeling his shirt collar scratch his neck. He quickly pulled it loose before taking his place by his mother.

"Clay," she hissed, "you're late... Where's your crown?!"

Clay's hands flew to his head and he flinched, "Shi―shoot... sorry mother. I forgot."

His mother eyed him disapprovingly, her piercing stare seeing right through him, "As Prince you need to remember these kinds of things."

Clay nodded with a frown. His mother tutted something and smoothed his hair down. Clay cringed as he met his father's stern stare. His father shook his head and looked away, resuming his conversation with Wilbur, Clay's older brother.

Wilbur was the Royal Advisor in their kingdom. He was smart and charismatic and, to top it all off, he had a great singing voice. However, Wilbur wasn't chosen to be heir to the throne, Clay was.