16

Clay's POV

Clay's hopes fell and only fell farther as he watched each royal return to the castle that evening.

George hadn't shown up yet and he was one of the only three remaining. Clay was starting to worry, what if something happened?

He didn't care about George's return time, just about his safety. Clay's mood had been happy that whole day after seeing George grin with such genuine happiness. How could he not be happy after being graced with George's smile?

After a few more minutes of waiting with Wilbur and a couple servants and guards, Clay saw George and Sapnap walk up to the castle, Sapnap holding the basket full of the required materials. Sapnap grinned and waved to Clay and Clay waved back.

He smiled at George, but George wasn't looking at him, instead he was looking at the ground, sporting a white bandage wrapped around his hand. Clay went from excited to confused to worried in a matter of seconds.

He walked away from Wilbur, who was talking with the servants and marking stuff down on his paper. Clay approached the two, his eyes a silent question to Sapnap. His friend's lips thinned and he dipped his chin. They shared a look and Sapnap left, giving the basket to a servant and going to his quarters.

Clay held out his hand carefully and whispered, "Are you okay? Can I see?"

George looked up, a painful expression on his face. Not physical pain, but pain as if he was going to say something sad. George clutched his hand to his chest and muttered, "I'm fine, Clay."

Clay searched George's eyes, worry filling him. George looked away after a moment, his dark eyes incredibly somber. The prince started walking to the castle and Clay walked with him.

"George," Clay murmured, "what's going on?"

George's eyes darted sideways, towards Clay, and he mumbled, "I said I'm fine Clay. Don't worry about me."

"How can I not worry when you're being like this?"

"Like what," George stated blankly.

Clay's brows furrowed, confused. He was confused so much around George and he didn't like it, but he would never take it out on George.

Clay had spent the whole day waiting, yes, for all of the royals, but mostly for George. He thought George had given a different impression that morning, had he not?

He searched for an answer, but found none. They reached George's room and George stepped in, blocking the way for Clay.

Clay blinked, looking between George's eyes, "Do you need me again... for the voice thing?"

George swallowed and looked away, muttering, "I'm sorry."

Clay's brows furrowed and he asked, "George?"

George's eyes lifted to meet Clay's and his face softened. He whispered, "I'm sorry Clay, but I can't be the person you want me to be."

What? Clay paused not knowing what the prince was talking about. Oh.

"I'll wait―"

Clay's rushed sentence was cut off by George, "Stop. Clay, I... I can't..."

George's eyes filled with tears as he watched Clay's face fall. The prince whispered, "I can't be around you any more. It isn't you, god, you're perfect. You're everything I want and more, but I just can't."

The compliments didn't reach Clay, whose eyes were also filling with tears, "But I―"

George interrupted him again, cupping Clay's cheeks and looking deeply into his eyes, tears falling down his face. George's voice cracked as he murmured, "Don't waste your love on somebody who can't return it."