35 | INTERSIDEREAL

INTERSIDEREAL
(adj.) between or among constellations or stars; interstellar

TESSA NEARLY JUMPED OUT OF HER SKIN FROM SURPRISE. Whirling around, she came face to face with a pair of grumpy wizards.

"Morning, Basil," Arthur greeted one of them, picking up the Portkey and handing it to him.

"Hello there, Arthur," Basil replied. "Not on duty, eh? It's all right for some. . . . We've been here all night . . . You'd better get out of the way, we've got a big party coming in from the Black Forest at five-fifteen. Hang on, I'll find your campsite . . . Weasley . . . Weasley . . ." He glanced at his parchment list. "About a quarter of a mile's walk over there, first field you come to. Site manager's called Mr. Roberts. Diggory . . . second field . . . ask for Mr. Payne."

"Thanks, Basil," Arthur said and gestured for everyone to follow him.

They walked for about twenty minutes before reaching the hill where hundreds of tents splayed out across. They waved goodbye to Cedric and Amos before approaching the cottage door.

There was a Muggle man standing next to the doorway as Arthur greeted him brightly. "Would you be Mr. Roberts?"

"Aye, I would," Mr. Roberts said with a nod. "And who're you?"

"Weasley — two tents, booked a couple of days ago?"

"Aye," Mr. Roberts said and glanced at his list. "You've got a space up by the wood there. Just the one night?"

"That's it."

"You'll be paying now, then?"

"Ah — right — certainly —" Arthur backed away and beckoned Harry over. "Help me, Harry." The two hunched over and sorted through their money as Tessa rocked on the heels of her feet, glancing around absentmindedly.

"It's like some sort of . . . I dunno . . . like some sort of rally," Mr. Roberts murmured. "They all seem to know each other. Like a big party."

There was a familiar popping sound somewhere nearby and Tessa looked to see a wizard in plus-fours Apparated. "Obliviate!" he said sharply, pointing his wand at Mr. Roberts.

Poor Mr. Roberts lost focus for a moment, a dazed look falling over his face as he said in a blank voice, "A map of the campsite for you. And your change."

"Thanks very much," Arthur said as they all followed the wizard into the campsite.

As soon as they were far away from the Muggle, the wizard leaned over them to say, "Been having a lot of trouble with him. Needs a Memory Charm ten times a day to keep him happy. And Ludo Bagman's not helping. Trotting around talking about Bludgers and Quaffles at the top of his voice, not a worry about anti-Muggle security. Blimey, I'll be glad when this is over. See you later, Arthur." With that said, he Disapparated.

"I thought Mr. Bagman was Head of Magical Games and Sports," Ginny said in surprise. "He should know better than to talk about Bludgers near Muggles, shouldn't he?"

"He should," Arthur said, "but Ludo's always been a bit . . . well . . . lax about security. You couldn't wish for a more enthusiastic head of the sports department though. He played Quidditch for England himself, you know. And he was the best Beater the Wimbourne Wasps ever had."

They continued to trod through the grass across the campsite. Tessa let out another yawn, rubbing her eyes as she tiredly followed after the crowd. She popped another mint in her mouth, hoping it'd help wake her up.