26 | ZEAL

ZEAL
(n.) great energy or enthusiasm in pursuit of a cause or an objective

TESSA USUALLY WORE FLUFFY, PENGUIN-PRINTED PAJAMAS TO SLEEP. But since she was told all the students from all houses had to sleep in the Great Hall together tonight, she rummaged her closet for something else. She found Philip's white button-down shirt and slipped it on, having it fall all the way right above her knees. She put on some shorts underneath and pushed the sleeves up her elbows, making her way to the Hall with Hermione.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Professor Dumbledore told them as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors into the hall. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he added to Percy. "Send word with one of the ghosts. Oh, yes, you'll be needing . . . "

He waved a hand and the long tables arranged themselves against the walls. Another wave and the floor was covered with hundreds of purple sleeping bags.

     "Sleep well," Dumbledore said before shutting the door behind him.

"Everyone into their sleeping bags!" Percy shouted through the buzzing of students who began to retell about the portrait. "Come on, now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

"C'mon," Ron told them.

Tessa walked over passed the Slytherins to grab an empty sleeping bag when she bumped into someone who had black pajamas on. She made a face at him before moving to walk by, when he suddenly reached over to grab hold of her elbow.

"Valentine," he started.

Tessa sighed and turned to him. "What do you want, Malfoy?"

"I heard that Black ripped the portrait open — is it true?" Malfoy's voice was low and serious, his face set into a slight frown as he watched her carefully.

Tessa hesitated at first before nodding. "It was terrible. If you'd seen it . . . " She shook her head to herself, slightly frightened at what had just happened.

She glanced back up at him to see Malfoy furrowing his eyebrows as he blinked at her shirt in distaste. "What are you wearing?"

Tessa pulled her elbow away from his soft grip, straightening her shirt as she raised a chin haughtily at him. "Pajamas."

He scrunched his nose at her and mumbled, "You should get better pajamas. That one makes you look like you have a boyfriend." With that said, he turned around and walked over to Crabbe and Goyle, leaving Tessa's mouth agape.

"What'd he say?" Ron asked, coming over to her and handing her a sleeping bag as the four went over to the corner.

"Nothing," Tessa muttered. "He was just asking if it was true Sirius Black damaged the portrait."

Ron snorted. "Whatever. Malfoy was probably the one who let Black in."

Tessa frowned as Harry and Hermione huffed in agreement. "That wasn't funny, Ron."

Hermione piped in. "It's true. I wouldn't put it past Malfoy to do something like that."

Tessa scowled, a sudden fury flaring inside her. "Stop it — Draco isn't like that. He may be mean and a bully and aggravating, but he would never do something like that."

Ron rolled his eyes as Hermione changed the subject. "Do you think Black's still in the castle?"

Tessa raised her hands in defeat. No one ever listened to her on the times she truly wanted to be heard. She once hated Malfoy, yes that's true. Right now, she still thinks he's an insufferable prat too arrogant for his own good, but that doesn't mean she should let that blind her into thinking he's connected to every bad thing that happens.