18 | RESPLENDENT

RESPLENDENT
(adj.) attractive and impressive through being richly colorful

TO SAY THAT LOCKHART WAS DENSE WOULD BE RUDE, BUT SUFFICE TO SAY, HE BROUGHT IT UPON HIMSELF. During one particularly aggravating class of Lockhart launching into another one of his barmy storytelling, Tessa had gotten sick of hearing it that she'd resorted to banging her forehead against the table. Ron followed suit, groaning in complete and utter annoyance. Hermione was too busy fawning over the blond wizard to care if they'd bruised their heads.

Poor Harry was stuck with having to read and act out scenes to the class. Tessa had initially been told to help out with some parts, but she'd deliberately read the lines in a drawling imitation of Snape, and was told to sit back down.

Tessa thanked the heavens, thanked Merlin, thanked any divine and magical being she knew of once she heard the class bell ring. Upon dismissal, the students began to leave the class and Harry turned to the other three. "Ready?" he muttered.

"Wait till everyone's gone," Hermione said, eyeing the last person. "All right . . ." She approached Lockhart's desk, a piece of paper clutched tightly in her hand with Tessa, Harry, and Ron right behind her. "Er — Professor Lockhart? I wanted to — to get this book out of the library. Just for background reading. But the thing is, it's in the Restricted Section of the library, so I need a teacher to sign for it — I'm sure it would help me understand what you say in Gadding with Ghouls about slow-acting venoms —"

But of course — of course — he would instantly soak up his self-praise on the mere mention of his book, just as Tessa predicted.

"Ah, Gadding with Ghouls!" Lockhart beamed and took the paper from Hermione's hands. "Possibly my very favorite book. You enjoyed it?"

"Oh, yes. So clever, the way you trapped that last one with the tea-strainer —"

"Well, I'm sure no one will mind me giving the best student of the year a little extra help," Lockhart said and pulled out an enormous peacock quill. "Yes, nice, isn't it?" he said, misreading the revolted look on Ron's face. "I usually save it for book signings."
He scrawled a loopy signature on the note and handed it back. "So, Harry, Tessa. Tomorrow's the first Quidditch match of the season, I believe? Gryffindor against Slytherin, is it not? I hear you two are very useful players."

Tessa frowned and couldn't help but jump in, "I'm pretty sure all seven of us are useful and important players."

Lockhart ignored her and said to Harry, "I was a Seeker, too. I was asked to try for the National Squad, but preferred to dedicate my life to the eradication of the Dark Forces. Still, if ever you feel the need for a little private training, don't hesitate to ask. Always happy to pass on my expertise to less able players . . . "

Tessa's blood boiled and she opened her mouth to bark that Harry would be ten times worth the Seeker than Lockhart could ever be, but the boy had grabbed onto her hand and yanked her out of the classroom. She took a deep breath to calm down as they began to make their way to the library.

"I don't believe it," Harry said. "He didn't even look at the book we wanted."

"That's because he's a brainless git," Ron said and bumped fists with Tessa who agreed profusely. "But who cares, we've got what we needed —"

"He is not a brainless git," Hermione interrupted shrilly.

"Just because he said you were the best student of the year —"

They stopped talking upon entering the library, hushing down as they approached Madam Pince. She was a rather terrifying librarian with scrutinizing eyes and ears that can hear a mile away.