8 | HALO

HALO
(n.) a circle of light shown around or above the head of a saint or holy person to represent their holiness

TESSA COULDN'T WAIT FOR CHRISTMAS. She would have went back home for the holiday were it not for a letter she received from Kasi, saying that he and Alexander Williamson have to go somewhere important. Tessa didn't mind, she got to stay in Hogwarts with Harry and Ron.

One particular Potions class ignited a brighter fire between Tessa and Malfoy, the former hating the latter even more. Tessa didn't know why, but she truly didn't like it when people poked fun at Harry or insulted him.

"I do feel so sorry," Malfoy said with a smirk, "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home." His gaze was directed right at Harry as his two bumbling, follower idiots chuckled.

Harry, bless his soul, ignored Malfoy as he measured out powdered spine of lionfish.

     Tessa, who was sitting next to Theo, whipped around to glare nastily at Malfoy as she snapped. "And I definitely feel sorry for the people who actually do want you at home." She clicked her tongue sassily and shook her head with feigned sadness. "Such a shame they have to endure so much idiocy from only one person."

     Harry cracked a smile as Ron openly laughed, holding the table to support himself. The rest of the students giggled and snickered as Malfoy flushed a dark red. He turned to shoot Tessa a glare as the latter smirked and wiggled her fingers at him as a goodbye.

     When they left the dungeons at the end of Potions, they found a large fir tree blocking the corridor ahead. Two enormous feet sticking out at the bottom and a loud puffing sound told them that Hagrid was behind it.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asked.

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron."

Tessa opened her mouth to ask if he was sure, when an obnoxious drawl came from behind her. "Would you mind moving out of the way? Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose — that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

Tessa growled as she and Ron dived at Malfoy just as Snape came up the stairs. Ron was clutching Malfoy's robes, while Tessa was held back by Harry but had her arms outstretched as she tried to reach him.

"WEASLEY!"

Ron let go of the front of Malfoy's robes.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," Hagrid said. "Malfoy was insultin' his family, an' Tessa was just defendin'."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," said Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

"Ten, you mean," Tessa said through gritted teeth. "I fought too."

Snape paused and replied without glancing back at her. "Five, Valentine. Five."

Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle pushed roughly past the tree, scattering needles everywhere and smirking. Out of anger, Tessa stuck her foot out as Malfoy tripped over it. He staggered before balancing himself again, shooting her a glare before walking away.