New York

Djamila and her friends arrived in New York a few minutes ago and now they were going to get their luggage. They were all in the middle of a conversation, mainly fighting over who was the hottest in their group, but the girl was too distracted to get involved.

Every time she was in New York her soulmarks would slightly tingle. That meant that her soulmates were in the city.

Did they feel it, too? Were they looking for her?

A small part of her wanted to be with them, to experience the wonderful emotion everyone would talk about when describing their bond with their soulmate. But another part of her wanted to run as far away as possible. Djamila had always been an overthinker: she would obsess over things until she would get a panic attack. It happened every time she came back to New York and the tingling would resurface again.

She immediately started thinking of them. She knew she would have to meet them at some point, it was inevitable.

But she was so scared.

How were they? Were they nice or would they turn out to be just like her father said they would and break her heart in the process?

Did they already meet? Was she the only one missing? If so, did they want to meet her?
She knew it was stupid of her to overthink this but she couldn't help it.

"Hey Ami, you okay?" her thoughts were interrupted by her friend Maya, who noticed she was distracted and slowed down to be next to her without attracting the attention of their other friends, knowing she wouldn't want that.

"Yeah, yeah. Just, you know, the usual" she replied, letting out a shaking breath.

"Hey, stop that" Maya put a hand on Djamila's shoulder, stopping her from further walking. She turned to look at her "there's no point in worrying over it, it's only gonna make things worse. I know you can't help it so let's make a deal, alright?" she nodded and encouraged Maya to keep talking "Every time it gets bad, like now, tell me and together we'll come up with something to distract you, sound good?".

Djamila smiled and nodded, hugging her friend. She was so lucky to have her best friends by her side, especially Maya. She always knew when something was wrong and she knew how to cheer you up. Of course, she loved her other four best friends just the same, but it was a known fact that Maya was the one to call in situations like this. Not that the rest of them were shit at it, just not as good as the blonde. She was the sunshine of the group, the one who would always put a smile on your face. She was a makeup artist and always looked flawless.

Chloe was the mom of the group, the more responsible one, she would make sure everyone was fine. She was also the only one of the group who had her life together, with a stable job as a high school english teacher and her soulmate, Harry, by her side.

Sasha was the child of the group, the most irresponsible out of everyone. She was still studying, she wanted to become a surgeon, which you wouldn't guess if you knew her personally. She would almost always cause trouble and end up in unthinkable situations. Her motto was «go big or go home».

Matthew was the sarcastic one, the one who would use humor to get out of uncomfortable situations and the one who would support you when doing something crazy. He was a bartender in a fancy bar in Manhattan that paid well and that always had rich people as customers who left really generous tips.

Sam was the cool one, the one you would call when in need for fashion advice or relationship advice. He was also the one who would never refuse to go out even if the world was ending. He was a chef for a very known restaurant also located in Manhattan.

Djamila was the alcoholic of the group and the life of the party. Her chaotic ass would always put a smile on other people's faces. She was also a very positive person, mostly when it came to other people, because she was very negative when it came to her. She was a famous singer, started her career when she signed a contract with an important label back in 2016.