the talk

"An escape room? Why do you hate me so much?" Djamila complained, leaning against Steve who wrapped his arm around her.

"You don't like it?" Asked Wanda, standing in front of her with a frown.

"Oh no, no." The brunette widened her eyes. "I love it, it's just that I'm not smart enough for it and it's gonna be embarrassing."

"That's not true, you're very clever." Steve reassured her.

They were standing in front of the building, ready to go in for their date. Djamila loved that they didn't choose a cheesy thing to do, like going to dinner or to the movies. 

She also remembered telling them she didn't like those kind of first dates, so the fact that they all remembered that warmed her heart.

It was all perfect.

But then her father's words reappeared in her mind, erasing that warmth and replacing it with just anxiety.

She bagan thinking, involuntarily, about all the doubts she had these past years regarding her soulmates, spacing out without realising it.

Then the weirdest sensation took over her mind, bringing her back to reality. She looked in front of her, at Wanda, who had a disappointment look on her face.

"Don't ever think that ever again." She said, hugging her.

"Hey, privacy!" 

"What's going on?" Steve asked, now aware that Wanda read her mind but oblivious to what she saw.

"I feel like we should talk about this." Wanda said, asking Djamila if she was okay with it. She sighed, knowing there was no way of avoiding it.

"It's just," she took a deep breath, looking down. "all these years, we all lived here and although New York is a big city, it's not big enough to never meet your soulmates, especially if you're looking for them." She began talking, Wanda and Steve listening carefully. "So that makes me aware of the fact that you never looked for me. I know I didn't because I was scared and because I had a feeling that you were all together anyway, since all my soulmarks tingled, and because if you didn't look for me it was because you were all already good like that, together. So, yeah, is that why you never looked for me?" 

She immediately felt two strong hands on her shoulders, bringing her to look up to Steve, who had a sad look.

"Mila, we're so sorry we made you feel like that for all this time. Of course we wanted you, don't ever think otherwise. We always felt incomplete without you, we wanted to find you, okay?" He looked into her eyes, searching for any signs of doubt that he could address. "If we didn't come right away it was because we were scared as well. We all had enemies to deal with that wanted to kill us, we had the government after us, freaking aliens, our lifestyle that could involuntarily lead to you getting hurt. I could go on for hours." He laughed in the end, making Djamila crack a smile as well.

"We were scared to hurt you, not only our job is dangerous but we are as well. Each of us struggling with our past and my powers in my case. We wanted to get better before introducing you to our life." Wanda explained.

That made Djamila feel better. Of course, not being like them, she never thought about their private life and how it all affected them. She never even thought that they could be her soulmates, which made things even worse all these years because she didn't have anything to justify them with.

Now that they had a chance to talk, she felt better. She always tended to avoid confrontation, but she felt really good that she talked to them about this.

A weight lifted itself from her chest, making her breathe again.

Djamila looked at her two soulmates, smiling and holding their hands.

"I'm sorry I doubted you."

"You had your reasons, but I'm glad now it's all better." Steve said, kissing her forehead. Wanda smiled at her, caressing her hand.

"But don't read my mind again." She teased the redhead, who just laughed in return.

"Yeah, we've told her a million times, she just can't help it." Steve said.

"I'll try."

"Okay, let's go in and embarrass myself." Djamila said, dragging them towards the entrance of the building.

djamila_ posted a picture

liked by wandamax, bruce_banner and 6,619,452 othersdjamila_ this is maya and djamila doesn't know abourjskaowiw

djamila_ this is maya and djamila doesn't know abourjskaowiw

view all 67,301 comments

anon1 one minute of silence for our fallen soldier
anon2 @anon1 *silence*
anon3 @anon1 *silence*

peterparker why are you a cute sleeper?
pietromax @peterparker exactly, how does it feel to be god's favourite?
djamila_ @peterparker @pietromax meh, not complaining

mattgrey the zoo called, they're looking for you
djamila_ @mattgrey of course they are, i'm too special to be lost

anon4 mood

natromanoff why do you look ready for a trip in the savanna?
djamila_ @natromanoff always be prepared
djamila_ @natromanoff can we go?
natromanoff @djamila_ sure

samwilson sleeping on the job? shame
bucky.barnes @samwilson you're the one to talk

bruce_banner why are you sleeping? are you okay?
djamila_ @bruce_banner of course, i just sleep a lot

wandamax awh the rings we bought together
djamila_ @wandamax i love them
steve_rogers43 @wandamax @djamila_ and my necklace
djamila_ @steve_rogers43 and your necklace

anon5 ^uhm excuse me
tonystark @anon5 you're excused

a/n
birthday update!!
sorry for the long wait, these past days have been awful.
anyway, hope you like this!

by the way, i hate summer with a passion. it's so hot here (almost 40° celsius) i can't properly breathe. can't wait for winter lmao.