Chapter 9

For a long time, the group traveled the lands in search of the "love experts". Knuckles' rode on Big's shoulders and looked up above. "Look, Big, the skies awake!" Knuckles whispered, marveled by the colors in the sky. Big awed at the sky while Amy tried her best to keep up. Shadow peaked at her, worried about her health. "You okay?" he asked. "Yeah! I'm fine! A little thirsty but other than that." she replied softly.

That's when Shadow noticed a little pond with fresh water and filled his water jug with it. "Here, it'll help!" he said, diverting her. She gulped it down and looked at him happily. "Thank you!" she smiled sheepily. 

"So, about my friends, er, I guess I should say, family. For a while, it was just me and Big. Until they randomly took us in." Shadow explained. "They did?" Amy asked, awed by her discovery.

"Yeah! I don't wanna scare you. They can be a little... much. And- loud. Very loud. They're also stubborn, overbearing, and strong. Really really strong! W-Which you'll s-see, I mean, you g-get it cause t-their-" Shadow ranted, feeling flustered explaining this. "Shadow! They sound great!" Amy reassured. "Well then, meet my family! Hey guys!" he shouted happily, waving at what looked like scaly rocks. "They're... rocks." Amy said at last.

While Shadow was out greeting his family, Knuckles just leaned closer to Amy. "He's CrAzy!" Knuckles said, not trying to hide the fact that he thought Shadow was insane. Shadow and Big continued to look at the rolls happily. "I'Ll diStract him WhIlE yOu rUn!" Knuckles reassured. "HI BIG'S FAMILY! It's nice to meet you!" Knuckles said loudly enough to bring himself attention. "Because you're my favorite Amy, I insist you run." Knuckles whispered. "I understand you're love experts! OOH! Why aren't you running!" Knuckles shouted once more before looking back at Amy who was still very confused.

Finally, she turned around. "Well, um, I'm gonna go!" Amy said awkwardly and began to walk away. "No, Amy wait!" Shadow pleaded. Suddenly the ground began moving and Amy froze in place. "S-Shadow!" she cried, a ball going right past her. The one that was in front of Knuckles moved forward which Knuckles' chased. Shadow remained at the front waiting for them to greet them.

When they finally unrolled, all Black Arms were smiling. "SHADOW'S HOME!" one shouted happily. "Shadow!" "Shadow's back!" "Shadow we missed you!"

"SHADOW'S HOME!" Knuckles cheered, before pausing to think. "Wait, Shadow?" he asked, the Dark Arms nodded their heads happily. "Let me look at ya! Oh, you're so handsome!" one Dark Arm praised. "Let me take your jacket, I'll clean it!" another went. "NO! T-That's okay! I'll keep my jacket on!" Shadow said bashfully. "L-Look it's great to see all of you but, where's Black Doom?" he asked curiously. "He's sleeping. But look! I got my first stripes!" one young Darkling cheered.

"I earned my ice crystal!" another young one said. "I passed a kidney stone." an older one said. "Shadow! Pick me up!" another said happily, leaping up in his arms. Shadow carried him and looked at him happily. "Oof! You're getting big!" he said. Another jumped on his back and all he did was smile. "Their Dark Arms... Their Dark Arms!" Amy geeked.

Hearing her voice, they all turned their attention to Amy and stared. "HE'S BROUGHT A GIRL!" one cheered. "A GIRL!" They lifted Amy from the ground to bring her closer to Shadow's side.

"What's going on?!" Amy asked confused. "Just play along," Shadow smirked. "Lemme see! Bright eyes! Working nose! Strong teeth!" a female Darkling smiled, Shadow chuckling at her nature. "Yes yes! She'll do nicely for our Shadow!" she geeked.

Shadow hid his face in his hands and sighed with embarrassment. 

"W-Wait wait!" "Oh no!" "You've got the wrong idea!" "That's not why I brought her here." "Right! We're not- I'm not!"

"What's the issue dear? Why are you holding back from such a hedgehog?"

Is it the clumpy way he walks or the grumpy way he talks?
Or the rocket-shaped, square-shaped weirdness of his feet?
And though we know he washes well, he always ends up sort of smelly
But you'll never meet a fellow who's as sensitive and sweet!

So he's a bit of a fixer-upper, so he's got a few flaws
Like his peculiar brain-dear, his thing with the kitten
That's a little outside of nature's laws!

So he's a bit of a fixer-upper, but this we're certain of
You can fix this fixer-upper up with a little bit of love!
Shadow: Can we please just stop talking about this?
We've got a real, actual problem here

I'll say, so tell me, dear

Is it the way that he runs scared, or that he's socially impaired
Or that he only likes to tinkle in the woods (what?)
Are you holding back your fondness due to his unmanly blackness
Or the way he covers up that he's the honest goods?

He's just a bit of a fixer-upper, he's got a couple of bugs (no I don't!)
His isolation is confirmation of his desperation for human hugs
So he's a bit of a fixer-upper, but we know what to do
The way to fix up this fixer-upper is to fix him up with you!

Shadow: Enough! She is engaged to someone else, okay?!

So she's a bit of a fixer-upper, that's a minor thing
This quote 'engagement' is a flex arrangement
And by the way, I don't see no ring!
So she's a bit of a fixer-upper, her brain's a bit betwixt
Get the fiancé out of the way and the whole thing will be fixed

We're not saying you can change her, 'cause people don't really change
We're only saying that love's a force that's powerful and strange
People make bad choices if they're mad, or scared, or stressed
Throw a little love their way (throw a little love their way)
And you'll bring out their best
True love brings out their best!

Everyone's a bit of a fixer-upper, that's what it's all about!
Father, sister, brother We need each other to raise us up
And round us out
Everyone's a bit of a fixer-upper, but when push comes to shove

Knuckles: The only fixer-upper fixer that can fix up a fixer-upper is

True, true, true, true, true, true, love
True love, love, love, love, love, true love

True

Priest Dark Arm: Do you, Amy, take Shadow to be your Dark-fully wedded...
Amy: Wait, what?
Priest Dark Arm: You're getting married.

Love!

Right as they finished their singing, Amy collapsed in Shadow's arms, the pain in her chest returning. "Amy!" Shadow cried, holding her up and looking at her worriedly. "She's warmer than ever!" he gasped, feeling her forehead. Suddenly from the crowd of Dark Arms, Black Doom came out to see what it was about. "This strange sorcery..." he gasped stunned. "Black Doom!" Shadow gasped. "Bring her here!" he replied, motioning for him to bring Amy over which he did. He held Amy's hands and sighed.

"Amy, your life is in grave danger. There's an eternal flame in your heart, from your sister. If it is not dealt with, you will turn to fire crystal and coal... forever." Black Doom explained. "What? No!" Amy cried, trailing off. "B-But you can remove it right?" Shadow asked frantically.

"I'm sorry Shadow... I can't. If it was her head it would've been easy. But... only an act of true love will cool a burning flame." he explained. "An act of true love?" Amy asked aloud. "A true love's kiss perhaps!" A Dark Arm suggested before kissing another Dark Arm. Everyone else followed as they kissed in front of them.

That's when the idea popped into her mind. "Sonic. I need Sonic." she said to Shadow who was already getting out of the hole they had been pushed into. "Okay, we'll go there. Big, c'mon! We're going to go to the Sol Empire!" Shadow ordered and all ran off, Shadow carrying Amy as he ran. Knuckles happily sprinted after them and hopped on Big's shoulders. "YES! WE'RE OFF TO KISS SONIC! Wait... who's Sonic?"