Chapter 12

A long ways from the kingdom, Shadow began to walk away, thoughts of Amy racing through his mind. Big followed behind him, sad and wondering why his friend wouldn't go back. He huffed and raced in front of him, hissing and snapping at him. "Hey! Watch it! What's wrong with you!" he snapped. Big waved his hand in front of him while rambling on about various things. "I don't understand you when you talk like that." Shadow growled.

Then he walked around him to keep going down the path they went. Frustrated, Big picked him up. "HEY! PUT ME DOWN!" Shadow shouted. Big threw him onto the ground annoyed before huffing at him again. "NO! Big! We're not going back!" Shadow snapped. Big whined and looked at him sadly. "She's with her true love!"

Big then gave him the "are you sure?" look. Shadow sighed and frowned, not really convincing himself of the things he said. A strong gust of wing interrupted his thoughts as he looked back at the Sol Empire. "What the-" he questioned.

Ashes flew all around the place, a cloud of smoke appearing right above the kingdom. Circling them threateningly. "Amy!" he cried, racing back to the kingdom.

Together, Big and Shadow raced back to the Sol Empire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The entire time, Amy was on the floor, her face full of sweat. She was scared after seeing fire crystal on the ceiling, barely seeping through the cracks. Suddenly the door began shaking.

"Help..." she whispered as she heard the door. After one more shake, the door opened up. Knuckles shovel claws worked to help unlock the door and he walked in cheerily. "Heheh." he giggled. But he gasped after seeing Amy on the floor. "Amy! Oh no..." he gasped. He looked over at the burning fire and rushed over to it. "Hmmm. Need to put out the fire!" he realized. He ran out and brought back a bucket of ice.

When he poured it on the fire. "WOAH!" he gasped, as the fire turned to ice. "K-Knuckles! G-Get away from there!" Amy cried. "So this is freezing... I love it..." Knuckles awed, reaching over to touch it, but then his hand turned white briefly. "OW! But don't touch it!" he cried as he waved his hand and raced over to grab Amy. After dragging her closer to the cool spot, he used the rest of the ice left, placing it against her forehead. "So, where's Sonic? What happened to your kiss?" he asked confused.

"I was... wrong about him. It wasn't true love..." Amy whimpered, ashamed of what she had done. "But we ran all the way here..." Knuckles cried. "Please, Knuckles, you can't stay here! Y-You'll freeze!" Amy cried. "I'm not leaving until we find another true loves way to save you!" he declared and sat behind her. "You have any ideas?" he asked hopefully. "I don't even know what love is..." Amy said, a tear falling down her cheek.

"Hmm. That's okay! I do!" Knuckles cheered as he stood up to adjust her cloak. "Love is- putting someones needs before yours, like, you know, how Shadow brought you back here to Sonic and left you forever!" he explained calmly.

Amy stopped to think and looked up. "S-Shadow... loves me?" she asked. "Wow, you really don't know anything about love do you?" he asked somewhat disappointed. "Knuckles, you're turning to coal!" Amy cried. "Some are worth turning to coal for!" he smiled. Amy smiled at him fondly, admiring her echidna. He turned a bit more to coal and tried to hold himself together as he began to fall apart. "Maybe just not right now!" he cried. The window flew open which made Knuckles spring into action to close it. "Don't worry I've got it!" he promised.

"We're gonna get through- Oh wait. Hang on," he began, breaking off a fire crystal by the window. "I'm getting something!" he replied and bit of the point off the crystal. He peered through it and cheered happily. "IT'S SHADOW AND BIG! They're coming back this way!" he shouted happily, jumping up and down. "T-They are?" Amy questioned in awe.

"Wow, he's really moving fast. I guess I was wrong. I guess Shadow doesn't love you enough to leave you behind!" he smiled. "K-Knuckles, help me up!" Amy pleaded. "No, no, no!" Knuckles cried after stumbling over things in his way. "You need to stay by this cold spot and keep cool!" he urged. "I need to get to Shadow!" she urged back.

"Why?" Amy gave him a playful look and it clicked. "Oh, oh, oh, I know why! There's your act of true love right there!" he cheered. "Riding across the lands like a valiant, pungent reindeer king! Come!" 

Before they could even leave the room, the fire crystal broke threw the cracks, making the room dangerous. Flames broke through as well, blocking two paths they could've gone down. "We're trapped!" Knuckles cried, trying to protect Amy. The fire crystal reached the window, blinding their view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blaze ran through the mess of ashes, wondering where she was going still, scared of what she could run into.

Amy and Knuckles eventually broke through the window and saw how high they were off the ground. "Slide Amy!" Knuckles instructed. Amy obliged and slid down the huge pile of ashes stacked on the castle roof. Together they made it to the bottom, Amy scrambling to get up while Knuckles was trapped in a ball of ashes. "We made it! Go, go, go, go!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shadow and Big raced across the land, making it to the ocean where smoke was heading in their direction. "C'mon Big! Hurry!" Shadow pleaded. They continued to search for their friends.

But Amy and Knuckles were struggling on their own. Amy could barely stand, being as hot as it was. "Shadow! Shadow!" she shouted, trying to find him. The wind only grew stronger, which made Knuckles brake apart and blow off. "Keep going!" he yelled before he was carried away. Amy continued to struggle. "Shadow!" she yelled once more, the ashes consuming her.

A long distance still, Shadow and Big were racing to get to her. Unfortunately, the coal was starting to give in. Ships began toppling over, wondering what could happen. Looking down at her hands, they were turning red and black. She closed her eyes in pain and kept walking. This was still a problem for Shadow. A huge ship began crashing down on them, supplies and pieces of the wood.

Only when they were mostly away, the ship crashed into the coal, cracking it and spreading the crash through more of the ocean. The coal gave way, leading into the ocean where anyone could get lost. Seeing the ground breaking ahead, Big knew only one would make it. He gave Shadow an extra push to the other side, giving him a chance to be with Amy. Thankfully, he made it, but Big crashed into the water. Shadow bumped into the ground and turned around to look at the destruction behind him.

"BIG!"

All there was were chunks of coal floating around. Big was nowhere in sight.

Then by some miracle, he popped out of the water, gasping for air. He climbed onto a chunk of coal and motioned for him to keep going. "Good boy Big! I'll be back!" Shadow promised. With that, he ran off, leaving the behind.

I'm so sorry for be SO LATE for this one.  I'm literally doing this on my last ounce of energy while writing this so I'm sorry if there's grammar mistakes and other crucial errors. I don't have time or energy at the moment. So I didn't proof read anything. So sorry once again! Love y'all!