Chapter 14

Chapter 14

The field trip eventually comes to an end. As they exit the aquarium, the dusky sky releases water droplets but soon turns into the pouring rain. From sunshine radiated boiling weather, people fanning themselves with different objects to clouds gathered and rain bucketing down, the entire crowd under opened colourful umbrellas. Luckily, Taylor is well-prepared and brings along umbrellas and raincoats. They hold hands as they walk home.

"Henry, be careful with the puddles, don't slip." Holding a medium-sized umbrella from her bag with sunscreen, a camera and baby wipes and other stuff. Taylor uses her free hand to wrap around Henry's small hand, making sure he doesn't fall.

She keeps an eye on her two kids, one who is jumping muddy plinking puddles and running from her mother in her tiny cute plastic raincoat, the other one who is hugging Taylor's leg, scared to get raindrops on his waterproof raincoat and also the deafening thunders that roar minutes apart.

"Dwon't swip" The little boy lifts his gaze from the ground to his mama, giving an attempt to follow pronouncing the words of her mother.

"Yes baby, careful- Hermia, stop running, you're gonna fall..." Taylor shouts as the little girl runs further from her. Shaking her head, she pulls little Heney into her arms and carries him to get Hermia. Hermia trips over a small stone and falls and hugs the ground. Her snivellings turn into screams, she hugs her scratched knees while shaking her head, the cap of the raincoat drops from her head, making her curly pigtails soak wet.

"Oh, my gosh baby are you okay? Henny, mommy has to carry Hermia now, can you-" Taylor scoops Hermia into her arms, not caring whether the mud from the ground will ruin her shirt and whispers comforting words into the little girl's ear. She places Henry on the ground and he looks up at his mother with a reassuring smile.

"Mommy, I will walk, I'm your good boy." And they walk back home in the heavy rain.

"Hermie, promise me you'll never run in the rain, it's slippery-" Taylor takes off their wet clothes and goes to Hermia to clean her wound after putting Henry in the bathtub filled with bubbles and small plastic toy ducks and trucks. She examines her injury and pours out alcohol on a cotton pad.

"Sorry, mommy. It hurts, I've learnt my lesson... are you mad? Am I gonna be in time-out and get yelled at like Ivy's mother does to her-" Hermia stares at the bathroom floor in shame.

"No, I won't yell at you. You won't get any punishment but I'm just worried you might get a cold the next morning." Taylor kisses her rosy cheek and caresses them.

"Mommy, it's hot, I won't get cold-" Hermia shrugs.

"No, I mean you might get sick."

"But I don't want to."

"I know sweetie, so next time stay with mommy under the umbrella okay?" Taylor holds her hand and kisses it.

"Okay, I'm sorry."

"Shh, I know you are pumpkin pie. Now, go join your brother." They grin at each other, knowing that Taylor used the nickname Hermia suggested the previous night. Taylor lifts her and places her in the bathtub, she leaves the bathroom and comes back with their favourite book, which is The Gruffalo. She bathes them after reading to them, then has them get ready for bed.

"Night night, mommy! Today's the best day ever, thank you for watching Nemo with us-" Hermia raises her hands and bounces a bit despite being under the blankets.

"And let us have a bubble bath. You're fun mommy!" Henry scrunches his nose and says shyly.

"I'm glad my little bears enjoyed this day. Are you excited to share with your classmates about Nemo on Monday? Remember Ms Green said you will learn to draw a fish and write sentences, also discuss the trip?" Taylor reminds and the twins nod.