Chapter 21

Chapter 21

It is after dinner, Elizabeth left, the kids are in bed.

She leans against the window frame. A glass bottle broke into tiny gleaming pieces across the navy blue sky. They glint in the dark as if they are waving at her, she vividly remembers she would wave back when she was a little girl around the twins' age. The moon is a silver disc, hanging high upon their neighbourhood, which is sleeping soundly. Everything looks so peaceful.

The clock is ticking on the wall in silence until an abrupt knock followed by a doorbell ring penetrate the calm atmosphere...

Next day

It is currently 8 am. The sunlight meanders through the light voile curtains which are dyed in light teal. Secretly crawling, the honeyed sun rays caress the rosy cheeks of two children, who are soundly in sleep, lost in their sweet dreams. His hand saunters upon his closed eyes, gently rubbing it. He lets out a tired, annoyed moan, squinting his eyes tighter at the light directly in his face.

"Sissy..." Henry rolls to the other side of his bed, facing the bed with lavender coloured bedding covered in floral prints. Noticing he is not getting any replies, Henry energetically sits up and jumps out of his blanket. Tiptoeing sneakily as he goes, the clock on the wall seems to be monitoring him. Every tick-tocks sound of the clock makes his little palms go clammy. The room is in silence. A loud slap in her face penetrates the calm peaceful atmosphere.

"Mm...UGH Naurr" She groans, refusing to get out of bed. At this point, her eyes are tightly shut, expecting the pillow wars to start that makes mommy furious.

Instead, Henry whispers into Hermia's ear, "Wake mommy? We're seeing uncle Joe today."

Within a blink of an eye, the little girl flings her arms up in the air. Tossing and turning the massive blanket to get away from her dreamy bed. She beams with utter excitement, "YES YES YES"

Their sea-blue eyes meet each other and with a firm nod, they stand on their highest tiptoe to reach the doorknob. They walk out of their bedroom successfully without a creak of noise.

"MOMmMYYyyy!! Wake up!" The twins jump into the soft puffy duvets, digging through until they found their mom. Their lips brush across her clear skin with multiple kisses. They cling onto her arms and rest their heads on her.

"It's just seven, let mommy sleep more." Taylor groans, attempting to stretch her numb arms from all the weight against them.

Hermia sits up and announces, "No it's eight now. There's no time. We need to see uncle Joey, we can't be late."

Taylor nods while trying to widen her eyes. She gets up and starts folding the duvets. She puts on a convincing smile, "Pancakes?"

"with strawberries!" Henry squeals.

"And first what do we need to do?"

"BRUSH OUR TEETH." They collectively chant. Taylor silently giggles, as she is getting dragged to the bathroom. Reaching the top of the cabinets, Taylor gives them their colourful toothbrushes and watches them shove them in their mouths. And she does the same as well.

"Cheese- Mom look, mine's so clean." Hermia spits out the toothpaste and water in her mouth. She smiles brightly at the mirror on the wall, tiptoes on a wide chair with Henry as they aren't tall enough to reach the water tap.

Henry grunts back."No, no mine's whiter." With the facial expressions of the maddest boy the world has ever seen, he still manages to look adorable with his scrunched nose. Taylor sighs with her half-opened tired eyes, she grabs his shoulder and launches the face towel on his face. He tries to wiggle out of her arms, he doesn't like having his face wiped.