8: In Which She Finds a Fantasy

**********************

“Thanks again,” I said for the hundredth time, glancing in Prince’s direction.

“Don’t mention it,” Prince replied gruffly, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.

A long moment of silence elapsed and his Toyota seemed to become smaller.

“So that was Book Club Guy,” he said casually. Too casually. “I thought he’d be more... bookish.”

“Bookish?”

“You know, look like he actually read?”

I let out a shot bark of laughter. “Prince, no books were involved in last night’s...private meeting.” Glancing out the window, I saw that the sun was just beginning its flight across the horizon. Prince’s wristwatch beeped that it was five a.m.

“You two are dating?”

He had asked that exact same question at the station when he’d come to bail me out. He and Stephen had glared at each other like two bulldogs in a ring.

This time, I was annoyed. “You know what? You have no right to question me about my love life after what you did to me.”

“After what I did to you?” He threw me a glare. “I don’t remember ever taking you without your consent.”

“Yeah, well, it won’t happen again. Trust me. Have you found a new apartment?”

“I’m moving out at the end of this month.”

“Great.”

“Yeah. Great.”

The rest of the car ride went by in silence.

*

“So I haven’t heard from you in a week and I was worried that your dad might’ve murdered you when you two got home,” Stephen said.

I readjusted my phone in the crook of my shoulder while I stirred the chicken curry. “Oh, he tried,” I replied with a laugh. My “dad” was currently on the couch watching an episode of 1000 Ways to Die and chain-smoking. We’d made up after our little ‘fight’ in the car and slept in.

“The guy’s a díck,” Stephen let me know, sounding extra vehement over the phone.