5: In Which She Passes a Test

*******************

“So you don’t think I have an allergy to satin?” I asked Dr. Hudson for the fiftieth time, worry creasing up my face.

Paige Hudson chuckled. “No, Janelle. I’d hardly believe the itching is caused by a newly-developed satin allergy.” She paused, giving me a serious look. “I would like to advise a Chlamydia test.”

I got off the rickety examination bed with a start, shocked to the core. “Excuse me?”

“Janelle, I’m not going to beat around the bush about this.” Paige sighed. “We’re friends, right?” She was ten years my senior but I did consider her a mate. “And I’m your GP. It’s my job to explore every option for your sake. Chlamydia is the most common STD and in my opinion –”

Blushing, I swiftly cut in. “I don’t have that.”

“Had sex lately? With anyone…new? Didn’t use protection? Or maybe it broke?”

Oh, fúck. A myriad of emotions ran through my insides. Surely it couldn’t be him. But I was pretty sure the look I gave my doctor said it all.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” Paige nodded to herself. “Now, you said it hurts a little when you pee?”

“It…it only started yesterday.”

“OK. Anything else – aside from the itching?”

“No.”

Paige sighed again. She did that a lot with me, I was beginning to notice. Placing a gentle hand on my shoulder, she said softly, “Look, I know you’re agitated but it really isn’t anything to be embarrassed about. I see this almost every day. Most women don’t even show symptoms.” She took her hand back. “Besides, it’s not your fault. You probably got it from the last person you slept with. That still doesn’t change the fact that unprotected sex is silly, risky business, Janelle. I say this as a friend, not your doctor.”

It had been two weeks since that episode in the kitchen with Stephen. I hadn’t gotten laid since, plus I hadn’t showed up to the book club since my first visit. I didn’t have the balls to.

“That c0cksucking cúnt!” I found myself screeching, stumbling backwards and perching on the bed. “He gave me an STD! Of all the bloody things!”

“Jay, calm down,” Paige soothed.

“Calm down? He gave me a fúcking STD! How am I supposed to calm down?

“Consider this a lesson learned. We’ll do the swab and I’ll give you antibiotics and you’ll be out on the prowl once again, OK?”

I took deep breaths, close to hyperventilating. “Okay,” I whispered. “Okay.”