Chapter 10: Getting Ready (Mona Lisa)

Eleven forty-five. The time glowed on Mona's phone. Fifteen more minutes before Raphael and Mona Lisa's big date. Mona was in her room finishing up, adding the last touches of her makeup, thanks to Shinigami, who taught her a thing or two about Earth cosmetics. Mona was wearing a long sleeved turtleneck dress. The dress was a slimming color of black and was cut high on her thighs, showing off her long legs. Her makeup consisted of smokey black eyeshadow, black eyeliner with a sharp point, and her lips sparkled with gloss, with the final touch of a silver necklace hanging around her neck.

"Is it too much?" Mona asked herself as she looked in the mirror, examining her own reflection.

Why was she dressing so fancy anyway? She had no reason, but something deep down was telling her that tonight was going to be very special. Just something about Raphael telling her tonight was important piqued her interest and excitement. What did he wish to tell her? She couldn't wait!

Mona heads out of her room to find the Mighty Mutanimals all hanging out in the main room of their lair. Slash and Leatherhead seemed to be in a conversation, Rockwell was reading in peace, as Mondo Gecko relaxed on the couch, playing on his phone.

The Mutanimals' focus quickly went to Mona as she entered the room.

"Woah!" Mondo Gecko exclaimed, his eyes practically forming into hearts. "Mona! You look hot!"

Rockwell shuts the gecko up by smacking him upside the head.

"OW!"

"Thank you, Rockwell," Slash says. "Mona, I think what Mondo Gecko was trying to say was that you look very lovely."

All the Mutanimals nod in agreement. Mondo Gecko rubbed the back of his head from Rockwell's slap. They've always been so kind to her, ever since she first came to Earth they always made her feel welcome and a part of their little family.

"Thank you," Mona smiles, "You're all so sweet."

"Where are you going tonight dressed so nicely?" Leatherhead asks.

"Raphael is taking me for a special date night," Mona explained. "I will admit it was quite unexpected. All he told me was to dress nice. I'm not sure what we'll be doing tonight, but he said he wants to tell me something important."

"Raphael planned an unexpected date?" Leatherhead asked.

"And he just told you to dress nice?" Rockwell adds.

"And he said he's gonna tell you something important during this date?" Mondo Gecko continues.

"Um, well... yes." Mona says. She was just as unsure as they were. It was so sudden of a date. Usually her and Raphael plan it a few days ahead, just in case something comes up, but during their phone call he seemed so determined and excited for tonight. His voice sounded awkward, but adorable, his stuttering made it seem like he's got something big planned, but what?

Slash chuckles, "Maybe he's gonna propose."

Mona's eyes widen as the Mutanimals stay silent. They look at each other, ignoring Mona's reaction. She appeared to be deep in thought, thinking over what Slash said. Could it be possible? Is Raphael going to propose? Her heart began to race from the thought.

Suddenly the Mutanimals all start bursting out into a hysterical laughter from such a ridiculous idea. Even Leatherhead, always so kind to everyone and looks at their positive sides, was laughing from the statement. They all agreed that the idea was hilariously impossible.

"Ra-Raphael proposing?!" Slash laughs, he was almost out of breath.

"Like that would ever happen!" Rockwell adds.

"That turtle is more committed to his muscles than a wedding ring!" Mondo Gecko says as he laughs, practically falling off the couch.

"Hehe... Yeah..." Mona Lisa says, awkwardly laughing with her friends.

They're right. He would never...

"Mona, please don't take that the wrong way," Slash says trying to put himself back together after that good laugh, "Raphael is a good guy, believe me, I've known him for a long time. It's just that thought seems rather... absurd."

"Absurd?" Mona repeats.

"I mean," Slash says, "he does loves you-"

"It's an obvious fact!" Mondo Gecko adds, in a rather jealous tone.

"But..." Slash continues, "Raphael doesn't seem like the... you know... marriage type."

Mona said nothing. She had nothing to say to her teammates. They were right. Though Mona was now open to this idea of marriage, she knows Raphael is perfectly content with where they are now. He doesn't seem like he wants anything to change anytime soon. Mona remembers when she foolishly asked him if they were married, seeing his nervous awkward panic as he tried to tell her the truth. That was her first sign.

"S-So," Slash continued, trying his best to change the subject after seeing Mona's negative reaction, "Did Raphael tell you where he's taking you?"

Mona was quiet for a moment, thinking over what her friends said. In a way, they're right. Raphael said it himself, "We're not married. It's just you and me". She herself even told him that they don't need marriage, yet after hearing what it truly was and its meaning from April, Mona just can't stop thinking about it, but she now knows Raphael's thoughts on marriage and how their relationship will forever be. Raphael loves her, and she will always love him, but nothing will ever change for them. Mona must accept that.

"...He didn't say," Mona finally told her friend, "But I'm sure that-"

KNOCK! KNOCK!

"Oh, that must be Raphael!" Mona says aloud. She heads over the main entrance of the Mutanimals lair. She quickly brushes her dress, cleaning herself up to look nice for her love. She opens the door and is surprised by what she sees, "Bishop?"

The Utrom dressed in a black suit stood strongly with his head held high. Mona could see he had a few armed Utrom soldiers behind him.

"Hello, Y'gythgba," Bishop says with a glare and wicked smile. "Going somewhere?"