Bonus Chapter: Panic

Author's Note

In celebration of Amazon Prime Video's newest series Panic, I am thrilled to be teaming up with Amazon Prime Video and Wattpad to write this exclusive chapter that puts my characters from this story into the world of Panic!

I hope this chapter intrigues and inspires you to learn more about Panic. Visit the #PanicWritingContest on Wattpad for the chance to put your creative writing chops to the test and learn more about the show!

To find out more about the contest, prizes, and how to enter, check out the #PanicWritingContest here: wattpad.com/AmazonPrimeVideo

Don't forget to watch the series premiere on May 28th, only on Amazon Prime Video, here: http://primevideo.com/

--

"The new kid is staring at you again."

My cheeks immediately turn warm, but I try to ignore it as I keep my eyes trained on the computer in front of me. "He probably just needs help with his homework or something," I say, playing it off.

Victoria gives me an exasperated look. "Oh, of course! Especially since we graduate high school in two days, I'm sure the honors AP Lit student over there needs all the help he can get."

I have nothing to say to that so I just shrug.

"I mean, it's so unfair," Vicky continues. "Why does he have to be smart and sexy? Ugh! Just look at him," she says, fanning herself.

I look up from my computer to give her a slight nudge. "Shh! He's going to hear you."

"He better! He's the only interesting thing that's happened around here in months. I swear, Panic can't come soon enough," she replies.

I can't disagree there. That's Carp, Texas for you. Population: 12,000. Our forgotten, dead-end town where the most exciting thing is a deadly game played by graduating seniors. It started out of boredom, but now the stakes could not be higher—$50,000 for the winner. For most of us, it's our only ticket out of here. For me, it would mean being able to afford NYU.

"On that note, I better go print this," I say, heading to the printers. The last few weeks I've spent all of my free time researching and applying to scholarships. If I don't get at least one, there's no way I'll be able to head to my dream school in the fall.

As I stare at the print job, I feel a presence next to me.

"Do you know how these printers work?"

I turn to face the person who asked that and meet a pair of stunning blue eyes.

It's the new kid.

"I don't think we've met before. I'm Leo. You're Mia, right?"

I take a moment to take him in. Wow, he's even more gorgeous up close. Vicky wasn't kidding. Up until now, I'd only stolen a few glances at him from afar so I'm a bit stunned looking directly at him.

"Umm...yeah," I manage to say, remembering he asked me a question. I get this weird sense of deja-vu, like this all feels familiar somehow.

"So she speaks," he says, looking at me quizzically.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Okay, I'll admit, I'm not the best at public speaking or raising my hand in class, but it's not like I'm mute or anything.

Most days, at least.

Ignoring the comment, I hurriedly show him how to log his account into the printer. He's barely just thanked me when I grab my prints and flee the scene without saying another word.