Chapter 42

"Is this really worth it?" Morpheus asked his soulmate, wiping a glob of slime off of his shoulder as he ducked to avoid another loose root above him.

"Yes. We promised to come back with Phobetor and I will not rest until we find him." Charlie said, carefully stepping over the puddle of green something on the ground. They were in an underground tunnel, said to be the home of Farels.
"You promised. And why do you even care that much? I am your soulmate, not him." That made her stop in her tracks, causing Morpheus to walk into her.

"This is getting really annoying, Nathaniel. I know you are my soulmate and you know that I know. Why are you so alpha male all of a sudden? It's not like we're in a teen werewolf novel, we're adults. Can we please act like it?" She looked up at him with an irritated face.

"I'm sorry. It's just so natural now. Everything I've felt this whole time, I can just say because it makes sense." Morpheus clenched his jaw, grabbing her waist and pulling Charlie closer.
"I get it. But can we please just do this? And we will talk about us later." On their own account, Charlie's hands reached up and entwined behind his neck, pulling him closer.
"Okay." Morpheus whispered the second before his lips met hers. And within a moment, their worries were gone. No more Hypnos, Phobetor or Farels. All that mattered was the feeling of their hearts beating in perfect unison.

It took an invisible lizard fly to cry out somewhere in the distance for the two to separate. Charlie took a deep breath and shook her head, avoiding Morpheus' handsome face. She knew she couldn't resist again. And so did Morpheus.

"They're close." He gulped and took another step forward. Charlie followed and soon they entered a big, empty looking hall. Both felt the million eyes staring at them.
"Wh-" Morpheus was starting to talk, but Charlie immediately stopped him after feeling a warm slimy drop on her shoulder.

"Look." She pointed up, showing Morpheus just what stopped him. They were standing under a slimy green cocoon. At the top, Nyx' sleeping face peeked out.
"I'm guessing that's the mother." Morpheus whispered.
"Your stepmother." Charlie whispered back.

"Don't." Came his only warning. He looked around the hall.
"Stay here." He said before walking towards a long stick he found a few meters away from them. Taking a hold of it and trying to lift it up, Morpheus realized it was occupied by a bunch of farels. He felt the first bite on his wrist, then the second one immediately on his thigh. He cried out and Charlie quickly ran to see what was wrong.

"Nathaniel!" She yelled, but stopped when he showed his palm.
"I said stay. I'm fine." He ignored the pain, knowing their bites weren't harmful, just very painful. The real harm would be caused by their queen. But she was not here, he knew. He would've smelled her. Farels have this distinctive smell. And their queen evens it out.

"Careful." Charlie said, watching Morpheus use the stick in order to nudge Nyx' cocoon.
"I'm trying." He said right before the huge green bundle slammed down on the ground hard. Worried, Charlie ran to the fallen object, her eyes focused on Nyx' face. The face that was now awake. Her eyes showed panic and once she felt her lips, Nyx opened them.

"What happened?" She asked and then seemed to realize who stood above her.
"You." She glared at Charlie.
"Get me out of here, useless human." The whole cocoon started shaking.
"Watch your tongue." Morpheus snapped, appearing next to Charlie.

"You." Nyx now focused her anger towards Morpheus.
"What are you two even doing here?" She managed to open her cocoon by a crack. It was only a matter of time until she broke loose and would fight Morpheus with her bare hands. Charlie knew she had to clear some things up.

"Look, we're here to help you. Phantasos lead us here, hoping we would find you and continue saving Phobetor. We should work together-"
"Work with a human and a bastard half Uvalion? I doubt it." She broke the cocoon in half now, eventually able to sit up and take in a deep breath.

"I promised Phantasos that-"
"It does not matter. You are lucky I have to reserve my power in order to defeat Hypnos. Or else-"
"Or else what?" Morpheus stepped in front of Charlie, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Oh, little one. Acting all tough and human. Get out of my way." She snarled up at Morpheus.
"You won't get far on your own. Besides, I know my father's way of thinking. I lived with him my whole life after all." He told Nyx, who seemed to debate her options.

"And what use do you have?" She snapped at Charlie, who blinked in fear.
"Well, I-" She gulped, not knowing what to say.
"She's coming with me. Whether you follow or not." Morpheus said.
"I don't follow anybody. You follow me." Nyx scoffed and placed her hands on her hips.
"Well, then lead the way." Morpheus mocked her, opening his arms.

"I will lead after you tell me where we're going." She lifted her head up proudly.
"Fine." Morpheus rolled his eyes before turning to Charlie.
"Are you okay?" He stepped closer, his hands settling on Charlie's hips again. She already knew what was coming, but knew she couldn't stop herself either. This whole soulmate thing really got into their heads.

"She's not the one that just fell from the ceiling. Also, we don't have time for this. Just show the way." Nyx interrupted them.
"Hey! I am the one in charge here. You stop behaving like-"
"Will you just start thinking with the right head and lead us out of here already? I suppose you found out about your true connections, but I have a son to find. So if you're not going to help, there is no need for me to stay here and watch you two." Nyx exploded, pushing through the couple and walking out the way the two walked in a while ago.

Morpheus and Charlie exchanged a look, the latter gulped, to which the former rolled his eyes. But he followed the angered woman outside with Charlie's hand tight in his grasp.

Phobetor

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this moment. My dear son standing right in front of me, asking for my forgiveness."

Hypnos watched Phobetor stand in his cell, his lips sealed by a simple silver duct tape, as well as his wrists. Though Phobetor's mouth was shut, his eyes said enough. They emitted enough hatred that would last Hypnos a lifetime. An Uvalion lifetime.

"Oh well, how could I ever stay mad at that face?" Hypnos smirked, standing up and fixing his suit jacket.
"I forgive you." With a flick of his wrist, Hypnos motioned his Are to remove the duct tape. Phobetor spit onto the ground and then glared back at his father.
"Get me out of here and I'll show how much I appreciate your forgiveness." He snapped at his father.

"Nice try. But I wasn't born yesterday, my precious son." Hypnos laughed.
"I am not your son." Phobetor pronounced the last word as if it hurt his tongue.
"You can't choose your family, Phobetor. It was never an option. I am your father, whether you like it or not." Hypnos crossed his arms.

"I don't. I will kill you the first chance I get." Phobetor promised.
"Such harsh words. But don't you worry, there won't be a chance." With that, Hypnos turned to leave.
"Then what's the plan? Why am I here?" Phobetor asked, yelling at his father's retrieving form.

"With great patience." Hypnos said, stopping to turn and wink at Phobetor.

"With great petience." He repeated before leaving for good.