Chapter 17

Charlie had a hard time believing her eyes.

She thought she knew her mother. But apparently, bringing a man home was not as dangerous anymore as it used to be. In fact, it appeared her mother was expecting him. Heck, it seemed like she didn't even really care about Charlie's absence at dinner again.

"Would you like some cookies for your tea, my dear?" Elizabeth Denver asked her guest, who smiled kindly.
"I would love to, Misses Denver." Morpheus responded in the kindest voice he could muster. Charlie was at a loss once more.

Since when could he even smile? And why were his teeth so dang white? And how come she really liked how his eyes turned into slits when he showed his teeth? He looked so cute and boyish. What was happening?

"What did I tell you to call me?" Charlie heard her mother ask in a mockingly stern voice.
"You're right, sorry. I would love to have a cookie on the side, Elizabeth." He said. How come he called her Elizabeth already, but her still Miss Denver?

"I will be right back." The elder woman smiled at the two and left her living room. Her parents' apartment was obviously much bigger than Charlie's, so in each room, privacy was guaranteed. Charlie turned towards Morpheus.

"Something is off. She likes you." She said and watched his eyebrows furrow.
"Wasn't that the plan?" He asked in confusion.
"Yes. Well, but- she didn't even complain about your tattoos." Charlie said, still surprised when she saw her mother glance at his hands, but say nothing.
"Again, that's what you wanted." He said and Charlie sighed in defeat. He was right.

"It's just weird." She looked at her tea.
"It is not weird for someone to like me, Miss Denver." He sounded offended again.
"I didn't mean it like that. I just know my mom and I'm telling you-"

"I didn't know which one you preferred. So I made a mixed plate." Charlie's mother entered the room with a big plate of cookies. It was also weird for Charlotte that her mother even had cookies in the house.
"They look very delicious. Did you make them yourself?" Morpheus asked, taking a bite. Finally, he had something to eat.

"Of course. Ask my daughter, I always bake my own cookies. We never had store bought ones. Right, Charlotte?" Her mother turned to smile at her.
"Yup, no store bought sweets at all." Charlie said, taking a cookie as well.

"They are exquisite." Morpheus complimented.
"Thank you. I'm glad you like them." Elizabeth Denver responded.
"Mom, we came here to talk about something." Charlie glanced at Morpheus, whose Adam's apple moved up and down. Great, she thought.
"You did?" Her mother blinked and set her tea cup aside.
"Well, what is it dear?"

"I'll keep it short. Morpheus and I have to fly to Ailavu." She tried it with that.
"Oh, fun." Was her mother's response. What? Charlie's eyes widened again. Okay, now she knew something was wrong. Very wrong.

But what was even more wrong was the fact that Charlie suddenly felt pain. Pain in her mouth and then her stomach too. It was like an inferno that just ignited inside her. She started coughing, drawing attention from the two other people in the room.
"Miss Denver, are you alright?" Morpheus was the first one to look at her with concern. He even dropped the act, calling out for her formally again.

"No." She could barely answer him before feeling her throat tighten up. This felt exactly like an allergic reaction. And she was only allergic to one thing: cinnamon. But she couldn't have had cinnamon just now. Her mother obviously knew about the dangers of an allergic reaction. She was already struggling to breathe.

"Oh no, honey you are turning red." She heard her mother say and watched with teary eyes as she stood up.
"I'm calling 123!" Were her next words.