Chapter 29

"What now?" Came Charlie's shocked voice after reading the only article about Uvalions on Google.

"The author practically calls you angels on earth, so it's a rather flattering reputation, I guess." She tried to make Morpheus feel better.
"That doesn't matter. If humans came to know about our existence, bad things will happen." He told her.
"Maybe we should forget about it. There's nothing we can do." Charlie said.

"Is there no way you can find out who wrote it?" Morpheus sighed, his hopeful eyes looking at her.
"No, it's anonymous." She said, obviously disappointing him.
"But we have a pretty great IT guy in the department. I'm sure he knows how to track this article down to its owner." Charlie sounded confident, which made Morpheus look back into her eyes.
"Are you sure?" He asked.
"Yes, should I call him?" She asked and Morpheus shook his head.

"You just have to make sure your phone has battery when we meet the senate. I think I have just found a way of reducing my punishment." Morpheus gulped.
"What will you do?" Charlie asked him with a worried voice.
"I will tell them about the article. Let's hope whoever wrote this is a human whose memory an Uvalion forgot to erase. In that case, if you help me track him down and hand him over to the senate, they will simply erase his memory and that's it. They may let me go with a warning. I have heard of such cases." He explained and Charlie nodded.

"And what if the author is an angry Uvalion? One that you talked about before? Without purpose?" She asked.
"Then it might be a little harder to track him down. But you- you'll help me, right?" His eyes were so unsure and hopeful at the same time. Obviously, Charlie was going to help him. Did he forget what they were doing in Ailavu? He was doing everything to help her. And Charlie knew she could not live with herself if she didn't repay him somehow.

"Of course, silly. We're a team now." Another cute smile grazed her lips. His face softened and his mouth mirrored hers.
"We are." Morpheus agreed, relieving Charlie more than he knew. She still had to try and get him to not go to the senate, but at least if she failed, they had a plan B. Hypnos would have to accept that it meant putting their deal on hold. At least until they found the author of the article.

"Do you maybe want to go out to eat?" She heard, which immediately pulled her out of her thoughts.
"What?" She looked at Morpheus.
"I'm hungry. Aren't you?" The tip of his ears were red again as he took a step away.
"Y-yes." Why did she have to stutter now? Charlie internally groaned.
"Or maybe you want to order room service? We don't have to go out, if you don't want to." He was getting insecure again. Why would she want to go out with him? Morpheus shook his head.

"No, I'd love to go out with you." Oh. Morpheus was stunned.
"I just didn't really pack any fancy dresses, so my current attire will have to do." Charlie chuckled slightly.
"Oh, it doesn't matter. I also don't have anything fancy. I'll just change into something a little more appropriate." Morpheus said, opening the closet after Charlie nodded and sat down on the bed again.

Her hands found the remote to the TV after Morpheus walked into the bathroom. She had a big grin on her face, just thinking about going out to eat with Morpheus. Oh, he was being so sweet to her. To Charlie, their newfound politeness towards each other was more than what it seemed. It also was more than just convenient in order to keep her deal with Hypnos. She was aware of the way her body reacted whenever he came near. Whenever his breath hit her neck as he stood close enough, like a few minutes ago, when he read the article with her. Whenever he blushed, Charlie felt so- pleasant? She didn't even know how to describe that feeling, but she sure felt good.

It had been a long time since she's been with a man. It never worked out, obviously. But no one had ever even asked her out on a date, like Morpheus just did. It was kind of sad- yes, but right now, it didn't matter. Morpheus just asked her out and that boosted her confidence. And whilst she had a feeling this could go further than what's necessary, she made sure to remember his feelings too. She did not wish to hurt him at all. But in a way, she still felt extremely guilty.