Chapter 10

"What's up with you today? You haven't made one point so far. Even Mikelson was better than you and he is blind on one eye." Charlie heard her boss say behind her. She refrained from rolling her eyes and also resisted the strong urge to yawn.

She was so dang tired. After Charlie went home, she felt more safe pulling an all nighter. If she was being completely honest, she was overwhelmed by last night's events. And also afraid she would discover that Morpheus was right and that somehow her subconscious would untie her from the bed. Also, she didn't even have a proper rope or string to begin with. Would handcuffs be too much?

She planned on going to the supermarket after work, but her stubbornness came in the way as she had yet to show her boss some good points. Ugh, but she was so tired. She could falls asleep right now.

"Denver!" She suddenly heard and her eyes flittered open. Did she actually just fall asleep? No way!
"That's it. You are obviously having a really rough day today. I think it's best you go home and get a good nap in. You come back tomorrow motivated and energized." The Sheriff said, all the while turning her around by her shoulders and taking the gun out of her hand. Charlie just let him, knowing he was right. She had to sleep. Not even coffee woke her up enough. The only thing it caused, was her trembling hands and that was more negatively intervening than anything else.

"I'm sorry." She sighed after taking off her gear at the register. Her boss just shook his head.
"I know, since you've never been like that. Do you want some time off? You know you still have a bunch of free weeks this year." He said, much to Charlie's surprise. She couldn't remember a time when he was this nice to her. He was being very courteous and that was a first when it came to anyone in this department, if she was being brutally honest.

"Thank you, sir. But I think the rest of the day will be enough." She insisted and he nodded. It was silent after that as they made their way to the parking lot. A simple nod meant a wish goodbye from him and Charlie nodded back.

Her drive home was less silent than that. In the hope that loud, disturbing music would prevent her from falling asleep behind the steering wheel, she searched for a radio station that played screamo before driving onto the busy road. At around three p.m. she eventually reached her apartment.

Next came a rather irresponsible, yet to Charlie- undeniable action: she dropped face down onto her couch and immediately fell into a deep slumber.

At Morpheus' and Hypnos' residence:

"Early bird! Early bird!" Morpheus rolled his eyes at his father's exotic housepet. It hated him and he knew it. He was always reminded of it when that dang parrot kept flying over his head as if ready to attack him- or shit on him. Either way, Morpheus was not pleased by that. Especially not this evening.

"Shut it, pillow stuffing." He murmured as he sat down at the breakfast table.
"Hey, no need for such rude expression." His father shook his head, let the parrot settle down on his shoulder before he gave him a piece of toast.

"You are up early, son." Hypnos noted out loud, watching Darian prepare a plate for Morpheus.
"I couldn't sleep." Was his response.
"You know that is literally impossible." Hypnos reminded him, knowing no one under his roof has ever had to deal with restless days.
"I didn't want to sleep too long. I have far more important things to discuss with you." Morpheus started, making his father sigh already.

"Is this about Charlie again?" He asked.
"Miss Denver, yes." Why his father suddenly called her Charlie was a puzzle to him. It was not a proper way to address a client.
"Son-"

"I have come to the conclusion that no matter what she decides, I must still do the proper thing and see the senate." Hypnos' eyes widened.
"Now that I know for certain that I have cursed her, there is not much more time to waste. I have to give myself up to the authorities and face my sentence. I'm sure you would do the same." He looked into his father's eyes.

"No, quite frankly, I wouldn't. Son-"
"How can you say that when I had to learn the whole entire codex by heart when I was a child? You were the one that taught me to do the right thing always. And as an Uvalion you cannot even hold me up from doing so. In fact, you actually have to report me." Morpheus said, his voice still calm.

"I know as an Uvalion, I should. But as your father, I cannot. You are half human and yet I have to be the one explaining why I cannot report someone I love more than myself? Somehow that doesn't add up, son. Imagine having a child and-"
"I won't ever become a father. It is against the law to mate with a human." Morpheus quickly interrupted, feeling his pulse rise.

"It's against the law, I am aware. Yet, you are here and what does that show you? Rules are bendable." Hypnos said.
"And at what cost? You have been banned to live in New Habbershire, meaning your immortal self will for always be in isolation from the rest of the world- the rest of the universe. Yes, you have me now. But what will happen when I die? You will soon realize what a pathetic life you've chosen to live." His voice was less calm now. Hypnos knew he was getting worked up, but so was he. Morpheus' boldness and brutal honesty was always something he adored, but right now it hurt him greatly.

"How dare you say my life is pathetic? I might not be able to leave the city, but have you ever thought about the fact that a lot of people don't leave their hometown ever? Maybe I don't want to leave either. The thought of having you and the memory of your mother is worth more than anything in this world. I understand if my life is not the life for everyone, but don't you dare think I regret anything." Hypnos warned his son.

"Maybe you don't want to leave the city, but what about me? You prevent me from doing what I was made to do. Help people. That's my purpose here!" Morpheus stood up, the legs of his chair screeching against the hardwood floor underneath them.
"Morpheus, it is not your only purpose on this earth! Don't you get that? I have often told you to go out there and live like a human. It is your birthright to chose. You still have time-"

"I don't want to start this particular discussion with you again. I am far too upset now. All you have to know is that no matter what happens, I must do the right thing. I'm old enough to make my own decisions and it doesn't matter what Miss Denver's letter says on Sunday, I have made my own decision." With that, the twenty-six year old made a move to step back from the breakfast table.
"Thank you for the breakfast, I will be in my room if anything important comes up. If not, you mustn't bother me." He finished before turning around and leaving his father seated by the table, staring after him, knowing very well that he was not going to change his son's mind.

But maybe his precious little Miss Denver might just come in handy now.

Hypnos stood up, knowing what he had to do. He was keen to find out where Charlie lived, so he could send her a letter. Or maybe he was going to pay her a visit in order to express the urgency of his plea.
"Yes, I might just do that. Won't I, August Magnelius Magnus the fifth?" Hypnos asked his parrot.

"Yes! Yes!" The feathered animal responded.

So Hypnos stood up and went upstairs to his room, ready to pay Charlotte Denver, the woman that caused more issues than she probably even knew, a visit.

"Darian! Get the car ready!"