fifty eight

TW: Death, Gore, Suicidal Thoughts
If this makes you uncomfortable, stop reading after the second set of ellipses, I will summarize it at the end of the chapter.

• • • • •

December 31st, 1980

As awful as this year had begun to seem in the past months, it wasn't all that bad. James and I welcomed our son into the world, and Julian is five months old tomorrow. Even though some awful shit went down, at least we have Julian.

It's a lot easier to deal with when you're surrounded by your loving friends and family.

James and I decided to host a New Year's Eve party at our house this year.

Lily, Marlene, Remus, Sirius, Jolie, Regulus, Dorcas, and Mary showed up. Mary brought her new boyfriend, Laurent, a French wizard that she went while working at the Ministry.

It still felt weird not having Alice and Frank with us.

Julian was asleep in his crib upstairs, the baby monitor on so that James or I could hear if he started crying anytime soon. I will admit, it is much harder to host a party with a baby, especially when you have no one to babysit since all of our friends are at the party, and all of his grandparents are either dead or an alcoholic.

There was less than an hour until the new year.

Sirius was playing Queen's newest vinyl on my record player, the volume all the way up.

I had a glass of champagne in my hand as I sat talking with Marlene and Jolie.

"I really think that 1981 is going to be the year of Marlene, I'm feeling good about it," Marlene explained, sipping on her cocktail.

Jolie laughed, "I cannot wait to see what happens in the test of Marlene."

"Please tell me you're not going to be a dictator or something," I plead, a sarcastic tone in my voice.

Marlene smirked, "I could totally overthrow an entire country's government if I wanted, but it honestly seems like too much work and not enough reward."

"Fair enough," Jolie replied, taking a large sip of her drink.

Sirius was dancing around the room with a glass of bourbon in his hand.

He was a few glasses in and was in his happy drunk stage.

A pair of arms wrapped around me from behind and James leaned in to kiss the crook of my neck.

"Bonjour, ma chérie," James whispered into my ear.

I smiled and turned around, pressing a soft kiss against his lips.

Jolie raised her eyebrow, "What's it like to be married?"

James and I exchanged a quick look with each other.

"Marriage is just a piece of paper if you don't actually work at your marriage and show that you love them every single day," James replied, his voice completely sincere. "Daph and I aren't together because we're married, we're together because we love each other and want to be with each other until death.

I nodded in agreement.

"When you're married, you always know without a doubt who is going to be by your side no matter what. 'Through think and thin'," I suggested. "I know that I'll be with James when I take my last breath, and I know that he'll always be by my side."

Jolie was listening intently as we talked, her hands holding her glass champagne.

She exhaled loudly, "That sounds nice."