lucille

Author's Note: Thank you all for 400k reads! It means the world to me ❤️

- - - - -

August, 1949

"Stand up straight, chin up."

Lucille obeyed her mother, fixing her posture as they walked through Diagon Alley. This was the first time that Lucille has been to Diagon Alley, despite growing up in London. Of course, they spent their summers in Paris with her mother's parents, but London was always her home.

A storefront caught her eye. Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor.

The eleven-year old girl felt herself gravitating towards the store with the bright yellow awnings.

"Lucille, come," Her mother beckoned, grabbing Lucille by the puffed sleeve of her dress.

With a sigh, Lucille returned to her mother's side, her perfect posture not present.

"What have I told you?" Her mother muttered through clenched teeth. "Stand up straight, chin up-, and we don't have time for foolish things like ice cream. Do you understand me, Lucille?"

Lucille nodded, "Yes, mother."

"Good girl, now let's go get your robes."

• • • • •

July, 1955

Lucille Dumont walked through the streets of Paris, her expensive handbag clutched close to her body. The newly-graduated witch was spending some much needed time away from London, staying with her grandparents in their manor on the outskirts of the city.

The sun was shining through the trees as she turned down a seemingly quiet street.

Lucille was running late for dinner. This wouldn't normally be a big deal, but her grandparents were inviting some friends of theirs over, and their friend's grandsons. She walked with a purpose, her chin held high, her posture perfect. Lucille was the kind of girl that mother's want their sons to marry. Lucille was the kind of girl that had boys at her beck and call.

She fumbled through her bag for her lipstick, reapplying it perfectly, even without a mirror.

In her distracted state, Lucille failed to realize that she was heading straight towards someone until she collided with them, her capped lipstick flying out of her hand.

"Oh-. excusez-moi, je suis désolé," Lucille muttered, searching the ground for her lipstick.

The young man that she had collided with gave her a small smile. He bent down, retrieving her lipstick from the ground. He handed it to her, "Is this what you're looking for?"

Lucille smiled, "Yes, thank you mister-,"

"Beaufort, Joseph Beaufort," He replied. "Et vous êtes bienvenue, Mademoiselle-"

"Dumont, Lucille Dumont."

• • • • •

May, 1957

Her mother was very pleased when she met Joseph Beaufort. Her entire family was pleased when he began to properly court Lucille. Lucille was very pleased when Joseph got down on one knee and asked her to marry him.

She loved him, of course she loved him, but her mother loved the idea of them.

Lucille was lucky. She was truly in love with the man she was to marry, and that's more than some people can say. Her mother got a wealthy Pureblood wizard to marry her daughter off to, and Lucille got a good, attractive-looking husband.