002

──────────

──────────

"THANK YOU, DUKE KHIONE FOR HAVING US. We had a magnificent afternoon. Am I right, bellissima?" Arwin's voice woke his wife from her undistinguishable thoughts. The couple was invited for a dinner in the Khione Manor, as part of the duke's efforts in mending their relationship with the Crown. Now that the King announced the abdication of his reign recently, noble lords and ladies have been in a frenzied state. They are hosting events and dinner parties, especially for the newlywedded.

Only a month into marriage and the two have been actively occupied with royal duties. Apart from their one-week honeymoon in the Dubrovkaʼs private beach house in Malibu, Calista and Arwin have yet to spend time with themselves alone. It was a blessing in disguise if you come to think of it. They are mere strangers to each other. Although it was probably for the best.

It was tiresome, mostly for the newly crowned princess. She had not experienced this kind of tight schedule. Her previous schedules consisted of attending engagements and parties on behalf of House Halvorsen. Now, as part of the royal family, she and her husband have been tasked with making sure the upcoming coronation was going to run smoothly and the acceptance of their prince after being out of the spotlight for fifteen years. Besides that, they have also gone on charities and outreach programs hosted by the crown to show their relationship as a married couple. It was all an act, the portrayal of their relationship in public. As loving as you see them in the media, they are a lot different behind closed doors.

"Calista?" a hand grasped hers below the table. Remembering where she was, Calista gave a smile to the Duke and Duchess seated in front of them.

"Pardon me," her soft voice cut throughout the room, "Yes, it was. I had a lovely time. The course was astonishing and it was wonderful to hear insights and concerns regarding the people of this town. These will be raised to the Crown for improvements for the betterment of these people, Your Graces."

"Well-" the Prince was interrupted by a loud thud from the wall on the outside of the room. Some of the servants rushed out, inspecting the sudden noise. "Anywho, we should be on our way. It was splendid to meet the two of you."

"It's a pity you have not met our twin daughters. One of them is due to inherit our position in a week, on the eve of their twenty-first birthday." the Duchess stated, "We would love nothing more than for our Prince and Princess to be of attendance in Lady Veronaʼs ascension."

"We look forward to her ascension. Kindly send our regards to your daughter." replied the Prince, his eyes perked up at the name. Verona was their youngest daughter by a few minutes from their eldest, Valoma. It has seemed they have already chosen their successor. If only it were easy for an heir to change.