004.

──────────

──────────

AS DAWN BROKE, Calista was still wide awake. She could not sleep a wink at all, even with the occasional chirp of birds and her slight hum to a lullaby. It was hard falling asleep knowing the tragedy that happened to her, for the future she did not expect to long for.

This has been the fifth time in a row her ill eyes were open all night. Her thoughts were clouded with endless imaginations, wondering what would have happened if it didn't happen. Occasionally, her hand would slide down to her stomach, rubbing over the flesh. Her unborn baby used to be there. Now, it was nothing more than organs.

Daytime rolled, the princess needed to prepare for the day. She did not ring her ladies to help her for once after assuming the role of a royal. She wanted to do it by herself. It would keep her mind occupied. Besides, it was simple and nothing out of the ordinary.

Half an hour later, Calista was dressed in a cream, long-sleeve, body wrap dress that reached her knees. She opted for a black belt around her waist. She wore a simple diamond necklace to match the earrings she was gifted with and, of course, her rings for her jewelry.

She was glad to be back at the Dubrovka Palace but she wished she was at the Calrize Estate, where there were fewer people. Privacy was a privilege here in the palace, unlike the estate where she was free to do whatever she pleased without the approval of others.

"Calla," she turned sideways, encountering the person she wanted to avoid. Her husband. She needed to be convincing that she was fine. Everything was alright. She and her husband were splendid in their marriage. She needed to act.

"Arwin," she smiled wholeheartedly, taking the hand he'd been offering.

"Iʼm glad youʼre back on your feet. Feeling better?" The kingdom didn't know they had a miscarriage, that they were feeling pain and grief for what would've been the next heir. Calista was not sure if they were going to announce their grievance. She was not even sure if the rest of their family knew. What would they think about her?

"Starting to, how about you?"

"Barely," he needed to tell the thought that has been on his mind recently, "Can we talk somewhere private? I have something to discuss." Thoughts of their miscarriage came back. Was he going to talk about it? Trying for another child? These thoughts clouded her mind as they bumped into Declan in the hallway.

"Declan," Arwin raised his brows in confusion. "I thought you were in Havia."

"Oh, don't mind me. I'm on a business trip on behalf of Havia. Royal duties." he shrugged, "I'll be here for a day or two before heading home. Theia is due any day now, I would like to witness the birth of my niece before I assume the throne and announce my heir."

Theia is Declan's sister-in-law and the wife of Devlon, his older brother. Devlon was supposed to be the next king of their kingdom but he renounced the throne to his brother. He felt more comfortable with Declan on the throne, as he inherited the leadership of their father as opposed to him, who wanted nothing more than to be on the sideline to serve the monarch than to be the one serving. They have agreed for Devlon's firstborn to be the next heir, after many considerations. The throne was still rightfully his, including his children, despite renouncing. Besides, Declan was sure that he would not be able to provide an heir.