Chapter 11 -- Entrance Exam

Oh my goodness! Hi! Hello to all my new readers! I am so so glad to have each and every one of you sticking with this long journey through the story of 50 Fruits in a Basket.

I've finally graduated from undergrad in college, and I truly feel like I've been through war, so I apologize for not keeping up with this like I wanted to. However, I've had a finished, super important chapter in my back pocket for literally 7 years (whoops) that these chapters are working towards, and I can't wait to get there!! So I'm excited to spend this summer getting us even closer to that :)

Until then, here's a little chapter! This is getting us set up for the tie-in to the White Day portion of the manga/anime (one of my faves)!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kanpaiiiii!" Momiji cheers as he, Hatsuharu, and I clink our cups of soda together at a McDonald's near Kaibara High. "Here's to finishing our high school entrance exam!"

"The math and English sections of the exam were brutal, but at least we don't need to worry now." Hatuharu replies after taking a swig of his drink, "What did you two think about it all?"

"I think it went alright," I start, before Momiji interjects, waving his fry in the air between all of us.

"We all did great, I'm sure of it! Kasumi, what did you think of being at the school with everyone? We're all going to have so much fun next year, especially with Torhu, Kyo, and Yuki!"

"It's exciting! A little overwhelming, but it's nice to be able to experience normal high school life. By the way," I shoot Momiji a stern look, "When are you finally going to tell them that you're hoping to go to Kaibara High? You've had us sworn to secrecy for ages."

"Ah! That!" He flashes a grin, "I have it all planned. But it's a secret. It won't be much longer! Cross my heart and hope to die!"

I can't help but roll my eyes, dipping one of my nuggets in sauce. "I'll take your word for it..."

"Does Akito know you took the exam?" Hatsuharu asked me, quiet concern written all over his face.

I shrug. "I assume so. I doubt Hatori would have kept that a secret. It's only asking for trouble if he does. But, hey," I continue, reading the worry behind their eyes, "It's fine. Akito doesn't want me around, anyways, and he'll get more of Hatori's attention with me being in normal school. It's a win-win situation."

A moment of silence passes before Momiji loudly sets his cup down on the table. "Now isn't the time for seriousness. It's time for CELEBRATION! Come on! Let's finish eating so we can go by the arcade for a little bit before we all go home."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tadaima!" I call as I slide the front door open after finishing the Kaibara High School entrance exam. I step into the genkan and reach down to untie my boots.

"Kasumi!" Shigure croons from the telephone by the stairs, "Perfect timing! Ha-san's on the phone. He wanted to talk to you, but I held him hostage while we waited."

"Hai..." I mumble, finally managing to slip my last boot off. "I'm ready." I hold out my hand as I step up to my cousin, but he turns, holding the phone out of the way.

"Hatori, can you believe this?! She's not even letting me say goodbye before taking the phone away!" Shigure listens for a second before continuing to whine, "Ha-san! But I'm not done with my story! You'll never believe how it —" he sighs, tilting his head to shoot me an exasperated look, "Fine, fine. I'll let you play father. Ja, mata!"