The Endurance Run

The goal of these longer chapters are to tie everything into the manga and anime. So, yes, some things are direct quotes from the anime. However, keep in mind I do not own any part of what was used from Fruits Basket, apart from my own character and whatnot. :) 

So, enjoy what is most definitely the longest chapter so far!

________________________________________________________

Now that school is back in session, I have the days to myself, mostly. Granted, I have the homework Hatori left for me, but I'm so far ahead that I finished the last set of work the week before. So, I've been spending my time sneaking into Kyo's room to borrow his books, since most of mine are still back at the main house.

This afternoon, I tagged along with Kyo, Yuki, and Tohru to the store to pick up some things for dinner. While my brother and Kyo wait outside, Tohru and I quickly navigate through the aisles to get what we need.

When we are checking out, Tohru looks over at me and asks, "How are you liking living with us, Kasumi? I'm sorry that I haven't gotten much of a chance to ask."

I grin. "I really like it. I haven't seen Yuki in three years, and Kyo in about one. They haven't been eager to talk to me lately, but it's been so nice to reconnect with them." There's a pause while she pays, and I take hold of the bags.

"I'm so happy for you! I can tell you've been happier lately, and even Kyo has been less argumentative." We laugh and then make our way outside into utter chaos.

"Wipe that smug little smirk off your face before I come over there and do it for ya!" Kyo threatens in a dangerously low voice, staring Yuki down. "Yeah, you'll be sorry then, woncha, and I'll make you say it."

"I'm sorry." Yuki responds dryly, not the least bit intimidated.

"SHUT UP! You're a real wise-ass, ya know that?!"

"At least I'm not the noisy idiot who's causing a scene in front of the store."

Kyo, as miffed as could be, begins to roll the sleeves of his jacket up. "Oh, you've done it now girly-boy! We're taking this outside!"

"We're already outside, you stupid cat."

"Sorry we took so long!" Tohru interjects lightly as we walk out, in an attempt to calm the storm that was my brother and friend.

Yuki immediately backs out of the argument and turns to us with a smile, while Kyo's brooding to the point of exploding. "Ah, find everything you needed?"

"Um, uh-huh!"

I glance at Kyo. "Uhh, Kyo?"

"WHAT?" Definitely not in the best mood today, are we?

I lift the bags overflowing in my arms, and tilt my head towards Tohru, who holds a couple as well. "Care to help? That's why you two came, right?"

His anger cools a little, and he looks down for a moment. "Yeah, yeah." He moves around Yuki to stand in front of me. "Let me have them."

"Do you gotta walk so close to me? I'm already pissed off, and I don't want to be out here with you."

"So why did you come?"

So much for being less argumentative... they have it out for each other today. I glance between the two boys. "Yuki—"

"You know, you are starting to get on my nerves." Yuki finally says, turning to Kyo with a death glare.

"Oh yeah?" Kyo challenges, setting down his bags and jumping into a fighting stance. "So why don'cha try to do something about it, girly-boy—" Yuki shoves some of the fresh leeks we had picked up into his mouth, making Kyo gag.