School and Secrets

Hatori's POV

I hope Yuki is home for his appointment. I really don't want to reschedule yet again. I walk up to Shigure's door and knock. Almost immediately, he answers the door.

"Why, isn't it Ha-san! Come in, come in!" Goodness, he's in an overly good mood today.

"Before I see Yuki, I need to talk to you. In your office, preferably." As I speak, I glance around, noticing the quietness. Shigure smiles.

"I hoped you'd say that. Not only do I need to talk to you as well, Ha-san, but everyone went grocery shopping." We make our way to his office and sit down.

"I don't know if you noticed, Shigure, but Kasumi isn't enrolled in a middle school. But since the term is already underway, and she starts high school next year, I plan on continuing to send her home school materials to work on for the remainder of the term. She did the same at my house when she wasn't with Akito, so I thought it would be best to keep that the same until high school. Especially since her parents want nothing to do with their kids unless necessary." The air seems a bit heavy as I speak. Shigure glances at me, twiddling a pen in his hand.

"I, personally, can't teach her anything. Cause, really, how did I even make it through high school? And no one else but me is around to teach her." I look up at him and smirk. Shigure, how dense. I've planned for this.

"Shigure, I know that. The answer is simple. Kasumi can teach herself. She's done it in the past on and off for a couple years. If she has trouble, she is welcome to ask me, Yuki, Kyo, and Tohru. Even Momiji and Hatsuharu."

Shigure raises an eyebrow. "Then why tell me? It seems you have it all sorted out, Ha-san." 

I close my eyes for a few seconds. How are you not catching on? "Are you willing to have her home all day? I don't want her shut up in her room the whole time."

"Of course, of course! Such a worried father you are! Don't worry about it!" He says, flicking his hand.

"Alright then. Now, what is it that you wanted to talk to me about?" Shigure leans over and pulls a folder from his desk drawer. He holds it out of my reach.

"What is it?" I ask, reaching for it.

Shigure grins and hands me the folder just as we hear the kids return. "Read it at main house. It's in Classical Japanese. I'm useless with it nowadays, especially with the old dialects and whatnot, but Akito found it weeks ago in an old attic space. Hoped there might be something entirely juicy in it I suppose, but ended up deciding it was worth more as trash than as translation work. I thought you might have fun with it after I took a look." With that, he shoos me out. I walk into the kitchen where Yuki is helping put groceries away. I clear my throat and the four turn around. Tohru smiles.

"Hello, Hatori! I didn't know you were coming by!"

"That's alright. I just need to see Yuki and Kasumi. Don't worry, it's not bad." I add when I see Tohru's reaction.

*************************************************

Kasumi's POV

************************************************

He needs to see both of us? I knew Yuki had a check-up, but why does Hatori need to see me? Hatori leads us across the hallway into my new room -- which still has more items for storage than my personal belongings -- and closes the door.

"Kasumi, stay here while I do this. I need to talk to you after. Yuki, go ahead and sit at the desk" I sit down on my futon, and skim through a book that I had brought with me to Shigure's.