one

Celeste Miller had been waiting all summer for today. As much as she loved being at home, she really missed Hogwarts. Zachary and Eleanor Miller truly tried to understand their daughter wanting to be at school rather than at home. But seeing as they were muggles, they would never get the chance to experience Hogwarts the way Celeste had. They would never feel the longing to be there that Celeste did. They would never really understand their daughter's world.

As per tradition for the past five years, this year being the sixth, Celeste shot up out of bed at exactly seven o'clock in the morning on the first of September. Her purple bedding fell to the floor in the process. The girl slipped on a pair of black velvet slippers and exited her bedroom whilst in her pajamas. The wooden stairs creaked beneath her slipper clad feet as she made her way to the kitchen. Where her parents tended to be making breakfast.

"Good morning mum," She said as she kissed Eleanor on the cheek and reached for a mug from the shelf above them. Celeste poured herself a cup of tea and passed the kettle to her father. "Good morning dad, sleep well?" She questioned.

"Morning sweetheart. I slept rather well, did you?" Zachary knew he didn't have to ask that to know the answer, seeing as it was rare for Celeste to get a full night's sleep.

"You already know the answer, Dad. It hardly ever changes." Celeste's brow slightly furrowed as she answered her father. Neither Zachary nor Eleanor missed this, but both chose not to comment on it for the sake of keeping the peace.

"Well dear, going back to Hogwarts ought to help. D'ya reckon that nurse of yours could give you some more of that sleeping medication?" Eleanor wanted to be of service to her daughter but there was nothing she could do. This was one of the times the older woman had wished that she could wield a wand, if only to make her daughter's pain go away.

It was common knowledge in the Miller household that Celeste had a hard time sleeping. This has been a problem for years now. There had never really been a reason, so they chalked it up to insomnia. That was until April 13th, 1971; Celeste's eleventh birthday. On this date the reasoning behind her restless nights revealed itself in the form of a full-fledged night terror. The first of many to come.

"Mum for the hundredth time, her name is Madam Pomfrey, and it's a dreamless sleep potion." The girl sighed. "But to answer your question, I can only hope it will help. Madam Pomfrey said there is no guarantee it will continue to work since she doesn't know what's causing me to have the terrors in the first place."

Her mother gave her a tight-lipped smile. "Still, we can have faith."

The topic of conversation was swiftly changed by Zachary in hopes of keeping Celeste from losing the excitement she had held onto for months. They began talking about a plethora of things whilst he finished cooking the bacon and Eleanor set the table. Celeste sat down at the island in her usual spot and waited for her parents to join her. After all three of the Millers had finished their meal, Celeste ran through the kitchen, past the living room, and straight up the wooden stairs which led to her bedroom, bathroom, and the two guest bedrooms.

The door to her room was quickly shut and locked behind her as she reached for the outfit she had laid out the night before. The black halter top and dark wash bell-bottom jeans contrasted well with her light complexion. As Celeste entered her bathroom and brushed her teeth, she saw her dark hair in its natural waves and chose for it to stay that way until she arrived at the school. The girl exited the bathroom and looked herself over in the mirror which hung in her room on the wall opposite her bed and decided she looked well enough.

Now all she had left to do before her departure was check over her trunk and to make her bed. Both tasks she completed rather quickly. Though, she did not know if that was due to excitement or the fact that doing so had just become second nature for her. She picked up her beech wood wand off of her bedside table and tucked it into her waistband. Then she picked up her trunk and descended the stairs once more.

This time Zachary and Eleanor met Celeste at the bottom of the staircase, both of whom were now dressed and ready to head out to Kings Cross Station. Zachary relieved his daughter of her trunk and heaved it out the front door.

"Ready to go Darling?" Eleanor asked Celeste with a warm smile gracing her face.

"No offense mum, but I've been ready to go back ever since I left." Both the older and the younger woman laughed at Celeste's statement. Eleanor reached for her daughter's hand and pulled her out the door towards their black Ford Escort.

"Well, if you're so eager to leave then we better get going."