Chapter 9

"I figured you'd be here." Mary said as she entered her underground clinic to find her girlfriend lying on one of the beds.

"I live here. Where else am I going to go?" Ryan asked.

"Ryan, I need to tell you something." Mary said.

"And that would be?" Ryan asked.

"I came out to my dad yesterday." Mary said, stunning Ryan.

"You did what?" Ryan asked.

"Yeah. And it turns out that he's known about us this whole time." Mary said.

"Of course he did." Ryan said.

"And he approves of you." Mary said, taking Ryan aback.

"He does?" Ryan asked.

"Yeah, he does. And he cares about me enough to know that I wouldn't fall for someone who was a real criminal, so he looked a bit deeper into your case and believed your story and he expunged your criminal record. You're truly free and clear now Ry." Mary said.

"Then I guess I don't have any reason to keep dating you." Ryan said with a smile and Mary rolled her eyes.

"Please, you break up with me, my dad is likely to not only renew your record, but put you in jail himself. Pretty sure that when Kate eventually takes Sophie back, he'll make sure she knows that she's fired if she screws things up between them again." Mary said.

"I'm just playing, but I have to admit, it does earn Commander Kane a few brownie points in my book, since the fact that he was willing to do that means that he's a lot more understanding than I gave him credit for." Ryan said.

"It's like I've been trying to tell you from the beginning Ryan. Not all Crows are the same. The bastards that arrested you are not the only people who work there. The Crows are run by people like my dad and Sophie, who only want to keep Gotham safe." Mary said.

"And yet Agent Moore talks down to me every time I see her." Ryan said.

"And if she ever wants Kate to talk to her again, she'll apologize for it, since Kate also approves of you and honestly, I value her perspective way more than I do either of my parents, at least in this regard. If Sophie wants Kate to be in her life, then she's going to learn to put up with you. I mean, the fact that my dad is willing to clear your record should tell her something." Mary said.

"Good. Because I really do not want it to be awkward at your sister's wedding, which, from what you've told me, is likely only a few months away." Ryan said and Mary laughed.

"Very true, but that also goes both ways. My dad is giving you a chance Ryan and I'm sure that Sophie will give you one too, but you have to be willing to give them one too." Mary told her girlfriend.

"Your dad has earned a chance, that much I'll say. The fact that he loves you enough to not only tolerate me, but actually do me a favor like that has earned him that much. Sophie on the other hand, well, I'm not making any promises yet." Ryan said and Mary nodded.

"I can understand that. Now, on a different note, come with me, we're going shopping." Mary said.

"What do you mean?" Ryan asked.

"My dad invited you over for dinner tonight and no it's not optional. You're going so that you can meet him and Kate and also help me keep my courage when I come out to my mom." Mary said.

"Do I have to?" Ryan whined.

"Yes. This is the first time I have the chance to truly show you off as my girlfriend without hiding it and I intend to take full advantage of it." Mary said.