Chapter 10

"So, how was dinner with your family? Did you reveal that Catherine is a liar and that your mom is alive?" Luke asked Kate when she entered her office the following day.

"No, I didn't." Kate said.

"Okay, why the hell not? You didn't hesitate to reveal that you thought Beth was alive as soon as you could before." Luke said.

"Things were different this time around." Kate said.

"Different how?" Luke said as Kate took a deep breath.

"Because of the changes in this reality is that Mary is gay and last night she came out to her mom. I didn't think that was the best idea to accuse her mother of being a liar and a criminal." Kate said.

"Okay yeah, I can see how that could be an issue." Luke said.

"You didn't have a thing for Mary did you?" Kate asked.

"No. And even if I did, I'm not risking my job or my safety by going out with your sister. I'm not that suicidal." Luke said.

"Smart boy." Kate said and Luke rolled his eyes.

"Anyways, maybe you should start focusing on establishing your cover, since you're gonna need an excuse for being gone all the time." Luke said and Kate nodded.

"I know and I've already given it some thought." Kate said.

"So you're going to be reopening Gotham Pride Real Estate right?" Luke asked.

"Yes, but not just that." Kate said.

"What do you mean?" Luke asked.

"I want to bring Wayne Enterprises back to its former glory. This company can do a lot of good for both Gotham and the world, so I think it's time that we put it back together." Kate said.

"You want to take over Wayne and rebuild it. Do you really think you can handle that? From what I remember, Oliver Queen tried doing that and he ended up losing his company and his entire fortune." Luke said.

"That's because he made the mistake of trusting the wrong person. I won't. Besides, Queen Consolidated was barely hanging on at that point while Wayne Enterprises is currently already dead like the rest of Gotham. Not to mention I have actual experience as a businesswoman." Kate said.

"Just making sure, since if you lose this place and by that I mean the Tower, we lose the Batcave too." Luke said.

"That's why I want you to start going through Bruce's files, since I refuse to believe that the Batcave is the only base of operations he ever had built. The man was many things, but delusional was never one of them. He'd never assume that the Batcave would never be compromised." Kate said.

"You think he had a backup base constructed." Luke said.

"What's the first rule of data Luke?" Kate asked.

"Always have a backup." Luke said and Kate nodded.

"Before he hung up his cape, Bruce was obsessed with preparing every worst case scenario. He'd never leave anything to chance." Kate said and Luke nodded.

"I'll start looking into it." Luke said.

"Good." Kate said.

"So, what else is on the docket for today?" Luke asked.

"Trying to find out where Alice has stashed my mother and I think I know someone who can help, since she now owes me an explanation." Kate said.

"Safiyah." Luke said and Kate nodded.

"It sounds like she had Alice on the island before she had me and I'd like to know why she didn't tell me." Kate said as she pulled out the new phone her dad had gotten her after she'd come back and dialed the number she knew Safiyah answered to.

"I have to admit, I wasn't sure you'd remember this number." Safiyah said and Kate could practically hear her smile on the other end of the call as Luke left her alone to talk to Safiyah.

"You owe me an explanation, Safiyah." Kate said.

"About what?" Safiyah asked.

"Cut the crap Safiyah, you know exactly what I'm talking about." Kate said.

"Your sister." Safiyah said.

"You could've told me Beth was alive and that she'd been on the island." Kate said.

"I kept you in the dark to preserve the memories of the sister you lost, since you have to admit that Alice is not the same girl you told me Beth was." Safiyah said.

"And how much of that is your fault, since I have a feeling that you had something to do with it." Kate said and that was actually true, since while she knew that it was her time with Cartwright that had originally broken Beth and turned her into Alice, Kate couldn't help but get the feeling that Safiyah had a hand in it as well.

"Do you really want me to answer that Kate?" Safiyah asked.

"That's answer enough. You owe me one now Safiyah, especially if you want me to keep on keeping your little island a secret." Kate said.

"What do you want?" Safiyah asked, now realizing that she had pushed Kate's buttons too much and too far for her to make a threat like that.

"My mother is alive and Alice is holding her hostage. The price for my continued silence is my mother's location, since I can't make a move on that demented twin of mine until I remove her leverage. You have resources that can help me find her, I suggest you use them." Kate said.

"Are you sure you want to do this Kate? I cannot promise you sanctuary on Coryana again if you do this." Safiyah said.

"You should've known that lying to me about this would come back to haunt you in some way Safiyah. I didn't want this, but you gave me no choice. If you ever want me to forgive you and maybe even consider coming back to Coryana, you'll do this." Kate said.

"I know. And I'm sorry Kate, but I genuinely thought that you were better off not knowing what your sister had become." Safiyah said and Kate could tell that she meant that.

"Maybe, but you still should've told me. I had a right to know. And let's be honest, you knew that if I knew that Beth was alive, I'd leave you and you couldn't stand the idea of losing me sooner than you had to." Kate said.

"That is also true." Safiyah admitted.

"Well I hope it was worth it Safiyah. Because honestly, there's a good chance that you've lost me forever now, because until you find my mom, I'm not sure if I can forgive you." Kate said.

"I lost you the moment I let you go, because I know that your heart belongs to another, one who also hurt you." Safiyah said.

"Your betrayal is even worse than Sophie's since you lied about my family." Kate reminded her.

"I know. I will inform you if my agents find anything on her. When they arrive in Gotham, you can consider them at your disposal should you need their assistance." Safiyah said.

"I will keep that in mind." Kate said as she hung up.