Chapter 25

Okay, so this is not a poll, but just a general question. Does anyone else but me think that Russel Tavaroff is basically Bane 2.0?

"So, how's it feel to be in charge Commander Moore?" Helena asked Sophie as they stood in the Commander's office of Crows HQ while Jacob was out with Kate.

"I'm very glad that Kate is keeping her dad distracted, since otherwise I'm sure he'd be blowing up my phone every five minutes." Sophie said and Helena chuckled.

"You know you owe her big time for voluntarily taking time away from her company and spending a whole day with her dad right?" Helena asked.

"Yeah, but I don't think you want to know how I'm going to pay that debt." Sophie said.

"Your sister can crash at my apartment if you need her too. But honestly, is she ever going to get her own place?" Helena asked.

"Considering how much she seems to enjoy mooching off me, I don't think so. She doesn't even have a job in Gotham yet." Sophie said.

"Then set an ultimatum for her. Tell her to get a job by the end of the month or you'll kick her out." Helena said and Sophie chuckled.

"I'll think about it. But for now, let's get to work." Sophie said.

"Oh yeah, speaking of which, fair warning." Helena said.

"Let me guess, Tavaroff?" Sophie asked.

"Tavaroff. Honestly, I don't know what crawled up that guy's ass, but I really want to send my foot in to find it." Helena said and Sophie chuckled.

"Yeah, get in line. What's he going on about now?" Sophie asked.

"How the Commander made a mistake putting someone like you in charge in his absence. He thinks that the only reason you're his second in command is because you're sleeping with his daughter." Helena said.

"You mean despite the fact that for the last five years we thought Kate was dead and even if we didn't, she hated me." Sophie asked.

"Don't ask me to explain the logic that man uses. Honestly, considering his viewpoints, I don't know why Uncle Jake hired him." Helena said.

"That's a question you can ask him tomorrow, especially since both of his daughters are out and proud. Why Commander Kane would hire someone like him is beyond me. But there is an additional benefit to me being the commander for the day." Sophie said.

"And what might that be?" Helena asked.

"No I can order a thorough deep dive into Tavaroff without needing to wait for Jacob to get around to it." Sophie said.

"You think that he's up to something?" Helena asked.

"I think that a man like that working in law enforcement in any capacity is a mistake." Sophie said.

"Yeah, I have to admit, his attitude is a lot more suited for the GCPD than the Crows." Helena said.

"It's sad how true that statement is. But for now, let's go put Tavaroff in his place." Sophie said.

"Agent Tavaroff." Sophie said as she approached the asshole.

"What is it, Commander Moore?" Tavaroff asked and Sophie could tell it was killing him to have to address her like that.

"I hear you have some problems with the fact that I'm the one Commander Kane left in charge." Sophie said.

"Where'd you hear that?" Tavaroff asked, though Sophie noted that he didn't deny it.

"That would be me." Helena said.

"Shut it Wayne. You're only a Crow because your dad is the Commander's nephew." Tavaroff said and Helena scoffed.

"More like in spite of it since Uncle Jake hates my dad." Helena said.

"We're not talking about Helena's father or her uncle. I'm more concerned about why you're bringing it up in the first place and why exactly you have a problem with my being in command." Sophie said.

"Because the only reason you're even the second in command is because you're screwing the boss's daughter. It's clear that he's showing you favoritism just because you're one of his daughter's flings." Tavaroff said, much to Sophie's anger.

"Or maybe it's the fact that I actually know when to keep things to myself. And unfortunately for you, I do have the authority to fire you, which I'm very close to doing. As it is, effective immediately, you're on desk duty." Sophie said.

"You can't do that." Tavaroff snarled.

"Actually, I can. I'm in charge right now, which means that you answer to me and I'm definitely going to be telling Commander Kane what you said. Something tells me he won't want a homophobe in the Crows, especially both of his daughters are gay." Sophie said.

"I'd just start packing up your desk now in that case." Helena said.

"You're not the boss Wayne." Tavaroff said.

"No, but I am and she's right, since I am planning on doing a deep dive into every single one of your cases." Sophie said as she headed back up to what was her office for the day, leaving Tavaroff furious, but also concerned, knowing he'd have to do something about her. The only problem was that he wouldn't have a lot of time to cover his tracks.

Later on that day, Sophie was doing exactly what she said she would do, looking into Tavaroff's cases and she did not like what she was seeing. It looked like Tavaroff had a history of using unnecessary excessive force. She was honestly afraid to open the latest file, but she was quickly very glad that she did as she read that it was Ryan's arrest file.

"That son of a bitch. Ryan mentioned that it had been a crow that arrested her, but she never said it was Tavaroff. Commander is definitely going to have his badge for this." Sophie said as she pulled out her phone and sighed, since while she didn't want to ruin Jacob's day off, she knew that she needed to let Jacob know now, since he'd been trying to track down the Crow who was responsible for arresting Ryan in the first place and now they finally had a name.

Before she could call him however, she heard the office door open and before she could do anything, she felt a heavy blunt object make impact with the back of her head and she was out cold.

"I'd say I'm sorry Moore, but we both know I'm not. I can't let you sell me out to the Commander." Tavaroff said as his murder assured him it was clear to pull her out of the office to some place where he could dispose of her. Just too bad he didn't know that he was still on camera.