Bucky - Elevator

Warnings: anxiety, broken elevator, short chapter

Finished on 5/25/21

2026 Words

I was supposed to be meeting Tony Stark at the tower today to help him discuss some layouts for his new suits. No, I'm not some superhuman freak or anyone with a cool superpower, I'm just a boring girl who's really good at designing. Also, since me and Bucky are dating I feel like Tony felt obligated to let me help. I wasn't going to complain though, helping Tony work on his suits was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

So as I made my way into the tower I greeted the few people at the front desk along with Happy who happened to be waiting in the lobby to take Pepper to a press conference. "Y/n! Good to see you again. Tony wanted me to let you know that he is waiting for you in the lab."

I smiled at him and nodded my head. "Thank you Happy. Do you know if the team is upstairs?"

"They should be, I wasn't notified of any missions today." He replied as he checked his watch.

I nodded once again and climbed in the elevator. "Okay, thanks. And tell Pepper I said hi!"

The elevator doors closed and I pressed the button to take me up to the common floor. Even though I was supposed to be headed downstairs to see Tony, I figured I could stop by to say hello to everyone first.

When the elevator doors opened I walked right into Steve's chest and almost fell over. Thankfully, he caught me and placed me back on my feet as we both laughed. Bucky turned the corner when he heard all the commotion and I yelled out, "Babe come get your friend. He's trying to body check me and I haven't even been here for 2 minutes."

We all laughed as Steve hit my arm playfully. "What'd you come up here for doll?" Bucky asked as he kissed me softly. "Aren't you working downstairs in the lab with Tony today?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna head down there now. I just figured I'd stop by and say hi to you while I was here, because we both know Tony's probably gonna keep me down there all night."

Both boys gave me a sympathetic look and I chuckled, trying to hide how much I was already dreading it. "Well have fun. Text me if you need anything." Bucky said as he gave me one last kiss.

"Want me to walk you down there?" Steve offered as he pressed the elevator button. "I was just heading out so it's on my way."

I politely smiled and nodded at him as I walked into the elevator with him. "Sure. Thank you-"

Before I could finish my sentence the elevator shifted and dropped. I reached out to grab the railings to steady myself and Steve pulled me against him to keep me safe. Then we suddenly stopped, halfway between floors. The doors were still open and by the floor numbers written on the inner walls of the elevator shaft I could tell we had only dropped a floor or two.

"Holy shit." I muttered as I slowly pulled away from Steve.

He looked down at me and let out a deep sigh. "Yeah, don't thank me just yet."

Steve being the noble, lifesaving man he was, decided he needed to figure out why we fell before we tried to get out. So he opened the emergency exit on the roof of the elevator and pulled himself up so he could look at all the mechanics.

He didn't need to be up there for more than a few seconds before he climbed back in and shut the emergency door very carefully. "Okay, so I have a bit of bad news. I don't want to worry you but we need to get out of here." I stared at him confused as I watched him push open the doors on both levels that we could access.