Bucky - John Walker

Warnings: John Walker, abuse, pregnancy

Finished on 6/8/21

2147 Words

"How does it feel being the best SHIELDs Agent?... How does it feel being friends with the Avengers?... How are you coping with the death of your best friend Steve Rogers?... Why are you leaving SHIELD?... How does it feel to be dating John Walker?... Are you supportive of your boyfriend taking the role of your late best friend?... How does it feel to be in the spotlight again?... How does it feel to be America's power couple?..."

These past few years have simultaneously been the best and worst of my life. I became the best agent SHIELD ever had, worked with the Avengers, made some great friends, lost some great friends, left SHIELD to deal with my grief, hoed around until I found John, he convinced me to go out with him, he was given the title of the 'New Captain America', I received a lot of backlash for it since Steve was my best friend, John pushed me back into the spotlight with him after he was promoted and now reporters were naming us 'America's power couple'.

If only they could see what went on behind the cameras.

I thought John was a good guy. A well-respected, decorated military man with a good head on his shoulders. Boy was I wrong.

We had been dating for about half a year when the government decided to name him the new Captain America. I would be lying if I said I wasn't upset. Seeing Sam surrender the shield back to the government and then watching them just hand it over to someone else like it didn't mean anything was beyond heartbreaking. Steve's legacy deserved more than that.

And John had some good qualities in him but as the weeks went on and he got involved in his first few "missions" as Captain America it became more apparent to me that he didn't deserve to be the one wearing that shield.

"I'm not saying you're not a good guy John, I just think that you and Steve are two totally different people. I don't think they should have just given the title away so easily after Sam retired it." I tried to explain to him as he paced around the living room.

Of course, I hadn't said any of this in public to anyone, in an effort to not slaughter my boyfriend's name, but now he was just twisting my words around. "No Y/n, that's exactly what you're saying! You don't think I'm fit for the role. Are you still so hung up in his death that you can't just be happy for me?"

I froze in place and my jaw dropped. "Wow...You can't be serious right now John." He didn't say another word, nor make any attempt to apologize so I walked back to the bedroom and grabbed my purse.

"Where do you think you're going huh?" He asked as he gripped my arm hard and twisted me around. "We're not done here!"

His grip on me was tightening and it was starting to hurt but I couldn't push him away. "John, stop you're hurting me! What is wrong with you?" When I finally got away from him I grabbed my purse and headed to the front door. "We can talk about this later once you've cooled down, but I need to get to work." I didn't give him a chance to speak before shutting the door and running out to my car.

--------------------------------------

As more time passed, he got more aggressive. First, it was just threats, then it was a few hits, then he became abusive. However, he knew how to hide it from other people. Always making sure not to leave marks where people would see, or not bruise me up too bad before an interview so I still seemed happy and energetic.

Somewhere along the line, I fell into his trap and I couldn't get out. Even though he was doing these horrible things to me I couldn't get out, because as bad as it sounds, I still love him.