Steve - Unskilled Recruit

Warnings: injuries, slight medical talk if that bothers anyone,  Tony and his ego have entered the chat

Finished on 6/18/21

3550 Words

Today was my first day. I was a new recruit for the Avengers, pulled in by Fury. He said he "saw potential in me" but I don't think the others will be so quick to agree with that.

I've never fought a day in my life, nor have I ever trained with literal super-humans. So this should be fun.

As I made my way into the tower, I was greeted at the front desk by a sweet lady. "Good morning, how can I help you today?"

I matched the smile she gave me and nervously fidgeted with my gym bag I was carrying. "Um, yes. Hi. I'm Y/n L/n, Fury sent me in to train today."

She quickly looked through her guest log and smiled when she saw my name. "Yes, you're right on time. Here's your visitors badge, for security purposes since you don't yet have any level of clearance." I gladly took the badge from her and clipped it onto the bottom of my shirt. "You'll probably find Mr. Stark or someone else from the team waiting for you in the training room. You'll want to take the elevator down to sub-level 8."

I nodded my head and thanked her quickly before heading over to the elevator and pressing the button for S8. It took me down to the training room and when I stepped out I thought I was here alone.

When I headed over to a bench to set my stuff down though, I saw the one and only Steve Rogers swinging at a punching bag. "You the new recruit?" He asked as he took his last couple hits before walking over to me with his hand extended.

"Yeah. Y/n L/n. Nice to finally meet you."

He smiled warmly at me as he unwrapped his hands. "You too. The others are out right now but we can train together if you don't mind."

"Um, yeah that's fine. Just don't have high expectations or anything. I don't know if Fury briefed you guys but I've literally never fought a day in my life."

He led me over to the boxing ring and held up the side for me as I climbed in first. "Let's just see what you've got then."

I took a deep breath as he started swinging at me, clearly not using his full strength. I was able to block a few and get one or two hits in on him but it was all down hill from there. He hit me in my stomach and I fell hard on my ass with a groan.

Being the gentleman he is though he rushed over to help me up. I gladly took his hand and chuckled off the embarrassment. "You aren't as bad as you made yourself seem. You're actually pretty skilled for someone who's never fought before."

A blush rose up to my cheeks and I was happy that he wasn't paying any attention. "Um, thanks."

We spent the next few hours just doing some light, basic training to get me in the hang of things. The team came home while Steve and I were sparring and Tony came down to the training room. "Hey, you must be Y/n." I shook his hand and sat down on the bench, out of breath. He eyed me judgmentally before saying, "THAT tired you out? You weren't even doing anything."

"Tony..." Steve spoke softly in a warning tone.

He looked between Steve and I as I anxiously bounced my leg. "What!? Did you see her? I mean how does Fury expect her to keep up with us if she can't even do basic training?" I stood up to excuse myself when Tony pushed me over to the sparring mat. "Come on, I'm gonna put you through a test."

"Tony, stop being an ass. Leave the girl alone, we've been down here for hours, she probably just needs a break." Steve was trying to vouch for me and as much as I appreciated the effort, Tony wasn't listening to any of it.