Chapter 23

Hey everyone! Hope you're doing okay and you enjoy this chapter! What did you think of the last one? Do you think the plan will run smoothly? What do you think's going to happen? ;) As always, don't forget to vote & comment.

Love, Lily xox

P.S.: In the side is a drawing I did of Andy for my sister @AliceGoneMad666 ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listlessly, I stared down at the untouched bowl of soup in front of me. The hours had dragged by until suppertime; this afternoon I'd been assigned to dishwashing, but they sent me away after less than an hour because I'd been so agitated I ended up dropping two plates. So I had spent the rest of the evening in training with the mindset that maybe physical exercise would take my mind of things and help me get prepared for tomorrow. The only things I ended up achieving were making myself angry and accidentally punching Jinxx in the face.

From across the table, I heard him make a joke about it to the person seated next to him.

“Hey, you shouldn't've sneaked up behind me!” I put on a jovial voice, hoping it was convincing.

He rubbed at his jaw like it was sore, but I hadn't hit him that hard. “I was only trying to tell you it was time for dinner – you were so crazy focused on that punchbag you didn't even hear me!”

I forced a laugh and shrugged, but otherwise didn't counter him. Besides, Vic had just sat down near him and they'd struck up a conversation; I went back to being mute, wrapped up in my own thoughts.

The what if's constantly running through my head were driving me crazy – all the worrying was making my head hurt, but I couldn't turn my thoughts off no matter how hard I tried. I needed a different distraction, something bigger.

Still the meal continued without change. The only difference from normality was that most were more subdued, worried about what tomorrow would bring. My meal remained uneaten; my stomach was churning too much for me to be remotely hungry anyway. When everyone had finally finished and we were leaving the hall, I looked around for my friends but found them all otherwise occupied; CC, Suki and Jake were deep in conversation, heading towards the meeting room with a determined air; Alice and Ashley were laughing over some joke, and Jinxx and Sammi were both with different groups of people, overly animated and very obviously ignoring each other. I sighed, and turned off down an empty corridor on my own. I wasn't really sure where I was going, but I knew that I had to find something to distract me; maybe some exploring would help take my mind off things.

There was a call from behind me. “Hey, Mal; wait up!”

Turning, I saw Ben making his way down the corridor. He seemed as laid-back as ever, smiling lazily at me.

Outside of the occasional passing comment, I'd never really talked to Ben, much less been on my own with him. I slowed, curious as to what he wanted. “Hey, Ben. What's up?”

“Oh, nothing, you know, just trying not to thing about our impending doom,” he joked. “Want to kill some time?”

I was intrigued. “What did you have in mind?”

After catching up with me, he slowed his pace to mine. He grinned. “Follow me.”

Oh, what the hell. We walked slowly, making small talk. After a few minutes we came to the hospital wing. I frowned in confusion, but Ben was already going inside.