Chapter 5

The four of us walked back to the house in tense silence. My family walked ahead of me a little, eager to get home and escape the chaos. Or perhaps they didn't want to be seen with me. I scanned the area. Nowhere near our area besides the church seemed affected, though I could see another plume of smoke rising in the distance. People were all out on the streets,  most looking lost and afraid. Some were running over to the church to help citizens who had gotten in the way of the fighting, or to put fires out before the whole church burnt to the ground. Minions were everywhere, grabbing anyone who looked suspicious or who they thought might be a rebel in disguise.

The speakers in the street unexpectedly crackled to life. Clearly F.E.A.R. had regained control of the systems, as the violin music of an announcement filled the air. People stopped in the middle of the street to listen.

"We expect a battle for humanity is about to begin," The smooth male voice spoke.

A battle? Wow, really?, I thought sarcastically, but continued to listen closely.

"Within each uprising, a vague sense of safety will ignite in you, and an unseen, shadowy slither of doubt towards those who protect and defend you. Let the thoughts slip away, and remain calm. Stay close to F.E.A.R. Only we can protect." The broadcast ended abruptly, and people continued to walk.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. F.E.A.R. styling themselves as our brave and heroic protectors was getting old, and yet no one seemed to object. For now, though, I decided,  I'd stay with in the middle; not joining any army or side of things, but look after my family. I'd stay where I was – for now. That was what I had decided as we walked the rest of the way home.

We entered our small apartment. Ollie went off to our room to do his homework, like he always did after church, but he was still shaking uncontrollably. My mother, knowing he'd calm down by himself, crossed the room and got our first-aid kit off the shelf to tend to the cut on her cheek. I was about to follow Ollie, when I felt my father's hand on my shoulder, "Not so fast, Mallory," He said quietly, voice filled with quiet anger, "We need to talk."

I squirmed, knowing it was going to be about my rebel encounter, and followed him back out into the hall, where we wouldn't be overheard by Oliver or my mother.

"Yes, Dad?" I asked quietly after a few seconds of silence. Let's hear it.

He sighed, "Look, Mallory, I know you've always had your ideas about the way things work around here. I know that you don't follow the rules as closely as the rest of us. We all saw you talking to that criminal today. Don't you realize how dangerous that was? Who knows what his intentions may have been? You could've been hurt, or killed – or if you were spotted by a minion, arrested!

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes or argue. Here we go.

"I've been tolerant of your behaviour up to this point, but that was the final straw. You're not to have any more contact with the rebels, do you understand? I don't know what goes on in that head of yours, but you need to have a good, long think about things, and decide what your priorities are. If F.E.A.R. somehow finds out about you, you are instantly seen as a threat, Mal. They view you as a criminal. Even if you haven't done anything. You'll be arrested, hurt, tortured for information if they decide you're guilty. As my daughter, I would hate that to happen to you. But this can go on no longer.

"By behaving in this strange way, not only are you putting yourself in immense danger, you are putting us, your family, in that danger too. Your mother and I have been discussing this, and we think it's time for things to change. Think about Oliver. He doesn't deserve to be dragged into this mess – just look at how terrified he was today. I can't have you and your rebellious thoughts around him if he is to grow up safely." His voice was quiet throughout the whole of this speech, calm. He rarely got truly angry.