Chapter 16

Sorry for leaving you hanging there, guys! I'll shut up now so you can read...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first all I was aware of was the soft warm press of his lips against mine. He didn't move at first, he was so still, but when my fingers brushed the back of his hand it seemed to trigger something, because his mouth moved; just a fraction, pressing back the tiniest bit for one sweet second. The room was so quiet I heard my own heartbeat thump, its beat quick and stumbling. I didn't know what I was supposed to do with myself -- I'd never had any experience in this field -- so I just kind of began to move my mouth a bit. But then Andy's hands were firm on my shoulders and pushing me back gently.

This had all happened in a matter of seconds, but they had stretched out into ages for me. And then it only took a few moments to register the look on his face, which told me everything I had to know. He stared back at me with disquieted eyes, shock etched into the set of his brow and his slightly parted lips.

He was the first to fill the quiet, "Oh, Jesus. Mallory..."

I averted my eyes to the desk I leaned on, my stomach feeling like a brick with the weight of rejection.

Andy sighed again; his hands dropped away from me and he sat back, "Mallory..." He'd never said my full name before now, I didn't think, "Mal...would you look at me a sec?"

I did, and regretted it. His face was soft with what looked like pity; he appeared to be struggling for words. Probably trying to figure out what to say to the little dork so she wouldn't freak and cry pathetically, "Look...I, I had no idea you felt this way. But, the thing is..."

I felt like a child, and the backs of my eyes began to ache, so I snapped to cover it, "What? What’s the big fucking deal? C’mon, Andy, spit it out."

"You’re… God, Mal, you’re sixteen. And I’m twenty-three."

"So? Are you really worrying about fucking conventions?" My anger bubbled and hissed and rose in my chest.

"Call me a traditionalist, but yeah." I wasn’t sure if it was meant to be a joke, but he wasn’t smiling, his mouth pressed into a stony line.

I threw my hands up in the air, "Fuck that!"

He glared, "Shut up, Mal, you’re gonna wake eve—"

"Tell me why." I hissed.

"I just did."

"No," My voice sank in volume, "a real reason."

He shook his head, looked away, "I...I just can’t."

"That’s not a reason. Tell me why not."

"There--there are some things I'd rather keep to myself. Like, actually having some privacy?" He was trying to stay calm and reasonable; I could see it and I wanted to push him over the edge.

"So now there's this on top of all the bullshit about the adults -- but oh wait!" I clapped my hands together in mock realization, "I'm the only person who, for some reason, isn't allowed to know about that!"

"Look, Mal—"

 "Don’t ‘look, Mal’ me!" I was furious all of a sudden, "Everyone seems to know what’s going on except for me, Andy!" A silly thrill ran through me when I said his name like that, but I pushed it away in irritation, "I thought we were all supposed to be working together, you know, family and shit! So why am I the only one who doesn’t know about the adults and Juliet?"