Chapter 13

She whirled around, eyes bugging out of her head, “What?!” It seemed I had been right about the freaking out.

“I said—”

She grabbed my arm just above the elbow and dragged me into the room, and pushed the covering back over the door after us before demanding, “How do you know about her?”

I shrugged and inspected my nails, suddenly regretting my decision, and also realizing how obnoxious I was being, “Overheard a conversation.” I wasn’t going to get Jinxx into trouble for a simple slip of the tongue, I wasn’t that mean.

Alice seemed really anxious now, and kind of mad too, “You’re too nosy for your own good. Seriously—” At this point she grabbed both of my shoulders and shook me a little, “—Don’t mention her to anyone, especially Andy. He’ll go fucking crazy. I don’t know who the fuck mentioned her, or how much you know, but you have to keep this one to yourself, okay?” 

“Wh—?”

“Don’t ask questions!” Her voice neared a shriek, and then she clammed up, stepping back and biting her nails, “Sorry. But I’m deadly serious, Mal.”

I paused, wondering if I could negotiate something. It was clear everyone was getting sick of my questions, but it was also their problem for keeping me in the dark about everything, “If…if I keep quiet about Juliet and I don’t mention anything to Andy, will you tell me about the adults? Or at least give me a few clues?”

Her eyes didn’t meet mine, “They’re…well, I can’t really say…I mean, they’re kind of related.”

Though this snippet of information piqued my interest, it was clear I wasn’t going to be able to get anything worthwhile from her, “Never mind. Don’t worry about it.”

Her head snapped up again, “You’re still not mentioning anything to anyone.”

“Yeah, I know,” A pause, “Sorry for the questions. It’s just really fucking annoying.”

She nodded, sitting down on the edge of her mattress, “I understand where you’re coming from – if it was me, I’d probably do the same thing.”

I sat down on the floor then, back leaning against the wall. We sat there as several minutes passed, not talking, but I didn’t mind. The silence was companionable, and I was wondering what was so bad about the whole damn thing that happened that they wouldn’t tell me.

I looked around the room. There was a narrow, but long crack running the length of the ceiling, a sort of zigzag shape. The room was kind of circular, a slightly domed ceiling and a floor that curved upwards. There was a large hollow in the wall where a pile of clothes sat, and on the opposite wall there was one of the lit torches to provide more light. The mattress was standard one everyone had, but the pillow was blue instead of white. Alice then got up, and left the room. She came back a few minutes later with another pillow and quilt, and started making up another bed on the floor for me.

She sighed after about another twenty minutes, and leaned back onto her heels, “I guess it’s time for training.” She got up and stretched, her joints clicking. I did the same, but with sigh and a feeling of dread. I briefly wondered if there was a way I could get out of it, because of my awful experience yesterday, but then I firmly told myself to buck up. Besides, I had a good feeling about today. I had enjoyed using the sword yesterday, and I wanted to learn some more skills again today. The clothes I was wearing were, albeit rumpled from sleep, fine for training, so all I did was tie my hair back before following Alice out of the room, down the corridor and to the weapons room.

We were kind of late. Everyone was there already, and they were starting to stretch as we walked in. They all looked up to stare at us. It was a different group from yesterday, but Jake, Ronnie and CC were still there. We quickly melted into the side of the group and began to stretch too, as I was now familiar with the exercises.