Chapter 12

The room was silent as I took in the horrifying new information.

My voice was shrill and panicked when I next spoke, “You mean bombs, as in—”

"As in hovercrafts and explosions and everyone fucking dying, yes,” Danny snapped back as he got up, fisted his hair in his hands and began pacing, “Fuck, I need a fag.” He didn’t stop moving as he pulled a packet and a lighter out of his pocket and fumbled until he had a lit cigarette clamped between his lips.

“Wait!” Laurence said suddenly, “What about the basement?”

“Well, Laurence, we store food there and keep our suppli—” Danny growled, still pacing.

“No,” Laurence was patient, “I mean, we could use it as a bomb shelter. It’s further underground—”

“No shit.”

“—And,” He continued talking as though Danny hadn’t said anything, “The floor’s reinforced, so even if the bombs do hit us – which I doubt they will, seeing as they don’t know our exact location – We’ll still be protected.” He finished, and looked uncertainly between us for our approval. Danny had stopped walking.

“That’s a pretty good idea,” Andy finally said, just as Danny opened to his mouth to make a most likely sarcastic remark, “You two,” he pointed to Danny and Laurence, suddenly in ‘leader’ mode, “Go organize everyone. You know the drill.” They nodded, and left, Danny somewhat reluctantly.

Andy turned to me. His expression was concrete, focused and tense suddenly, “Mal, stay here and keep an eye on that.” He gestured to the screen. The dot’s progress was very slow on the screen, but I knew the hovercrafts would be flying at higher speeds. What a boring job. I glared at Andy, but then he turned and ran out of the room.

I made my decision, “Like hell I’ll stay here!” I called indignantly and began sprinting after him, ignoring the ache in my legs returning until I had caught up with him. He looked mildly irritated, but sighed and grabbed my hand so he could pull me along faster, seeing as I wasn’t a brilliant runner.

My muscles were burning by the time we reached a small room that I didn’t recognize. It was an oval shape, and completely bare apart from several large boulders and a huge crack in the ceiling. Moonlight lit our faces.

Andy was breathlessly explaining as he scaled a rock, and then pulled me up after him, “The boulders were too heavy to move, and we couldn’t use this room anyway because of the ceiling, but it makes a good shortcut and a lookout point.” He jumped from the rock we were standing on to another, higher up, with surprising grace. After an uneasy hesitation I did the same, almost landing on my face and falling, but he pulled me back up again. The yanking me around by the hand was hurting my arm, but the situation at hand was so extreme I couldn’t care less.

Finally, we reached a high enough point that we could poke our heads out of the break in the ceiling. Cool night air flowed over my face and pulled my hair back, and I revelled in it for a moment, as the caves and dungeons we resided in were musty and stuffy. Then, I squinted in the same direction Andy was looking.

“I don’t see anything.” I whispered to him. I don’t know why I whispered. The night was just so quiet, I felt as though I should.

“That’s a good thing,” He murmured back, “It means we’ve got more time to prepare.”

“How much time would you say we have?” My answering whisper was anxious.

“I’d estimate around seven minutes, maybe less.” He still continued to peer into the distance with a frown.