Chapter 8

We came to what I assumed to be the meeting room, the rebel council already inside. I heard the faint murmuring of voices behind the sheet of metal that was being used as a door. Ashley knocked, his fist making a loud, clanging sound against the surface, then heaved it aside without waiting for a response. He glanced over his shoulder, and gestured for me to follow. I did, after a hesitation and a glance back at Sammi, who smiled reassuringly and waved me forwards.

The room was large and circular, and reminded me of pictures in a history book I had seen. There were bookcases everywhere, crammed with papers and books and things I didn't even recognize. Several lit torches were mounted on the walls, casting a flickering light over a table made from dark wood which the four men were sat around, all deep in conversation until we entered. I fixed my gaze to the floor nervously, yet I could still feel their stares. Ashley nudged me forwards slightly.

"There'd better be a good explanation for this, Ash." I heard Andy say after a moment of tense silence; I continued to keep my eyes on my feet, my still-damp hair falling into my eyes as I looked down.

"Sure there is," Ashley's voice was cheerful. He didn't seem to be at all concerned, pulling out the only spare chair to drop into it casually, propping his feet up on the wooden surface of the table as he did. Through my bangs, I saw him gesture towards me, "I was riding on my bike through the desert when I came across Mallory here. She had escaped from the city to try and find our camp – she wanted to join the rebellion. Didn't see anything wrong with bringing her back here," I lifted my head a fraction, to see Ashley give a nonchalant little shrug, "Don't get why you're so pissed."

I glanced up through my hair a little more to see that one of the other guys was watching me. His shoulder-length black hair was slightly wavy, his skin deeply tanned. His dark eyes were kind, and he grinned before giving a friendly little wave. I smiled back tentatively.

Turning my attention back to the current conversation, I saw Andy and Ashley share a look that seemed to be saying a lot in a silent language I didn't understand. Andy's voice was quietly seething when he eventually spoke, "You can't just bring in random girls wandering the desert."

"I had no choice," Ash sat up in his chair, "When I found her, she was half-dead – and she's not in much better shape now. I couldn't just leave her there, could I? I don't get what the big deal is; you said we needed more people.”

“Yeah, well, I didn't mean that you shou–”

“I couldn't have taken her back to the city, either, before you say that, 'cuz F.E.A.R. were gonna arrest her."

"That's what she told you. But she could easily be one of their spies." I looked up, alarmed, to see that they were all watching me now. Andy's arms were crossed over his chest, and his eyes narrowed at me suspiciously. Spy? Oh, come on. This is ridiculous. I wanted to defend myself, but my mouth and throat seemed to have dried up.

Ashley seemed to share my views. He scoffed, "A spy? Andy, just look at her. Harmless. I get you're worried, dude, but don't you think that maybe you're overreacting a little?"

Andy's lip curled as his eyes turned back to Ashley, "Overreacting? No. If I were F.E.A.R., she's exactly the sort of person I'd send to spy on the enemy. You'd never suspect her – she looks totally innocent. Vulnerable, even. Just 'cause F.E.A.R. can't find our camp themselves, doesn’t mean they're stupid."

Throughout this little speech, anger and frustration slowly built inside me at his words. Not only were they talking about me like I wasn't even there, he was getting it completely and utterly wrong. And yet I knew that if I said anything in my defence, it would only further his suspicion.