ii. Lesson One: How To Destroy A Boat

renegadeschapter two

renegades
chapter two

    "What?!" Speedifist let out, horrified.

    I couldn't help but agree.

   We all stared at Gobber, not sure whether he was serious or not. All the while, Toothless the Night Fury grew more skittish. His rider held a hand to his snout, equally nervous. We didn't have much time.

    "But none of us know how to ride a dragon!" exclaimed Clueless dumbly. "We don't even have dragons!"

    "I believe━" Gobber grabbed Clueless from the scruff of his vest and shoved him towards Hookfang and Snotlout, "━that the best way to learn: is on the job. Now go! Do you want these Berserkers to hit Berk?"

    "Uh ... is that a trick question?"

    "Go, Clueless, go!"

    Awkwardly, Clueless sat on the front of Hookfang's saddle. He almost fell off but managed to cling on as Snotlout hopped up behind him and the Monstrous Nightmare rose his long neck.

    "Come on, everyone!" ordered Gobber. "Pick a dragon and let's go!"

    I didn't know what to do. I went to go back to my sister and Stormfly, but Speedifist got there before me. (Fast idiot). Astrid looked very unhappy to deal with the boy who pulled himself to sit in front of her. He flashed her a grin. She turned up her nose. Stormfly squawked, annoyed by the sudden extra weight.

    I sighed. Great.

    Taking notice, Hiccup turned Toothless around and held out a hand to me. "Come on, we got to go, now."

    I arched a brow. The last thing I wanted to do (well, other than fly a dragon when I don't even know how to) was fly the dragon who needed a little more help. There was enough to focus on when it came to not falling off. Making sure the dragon doesn't fall out of the sky either? That was way too much stress.

    But Hiccup was right, we did have to go. The others were ready; Wartihog grumpily got on Meatlug with Fishlegs, barely squeezing onto the saddle and I was the last one waiting on a dragon. (Since no one wanted to ride with the Twins━two-headed dragon, remember? And Revna didn't have a dragon she flew).

    "I'm not going to die on my first day, am I?" I asked softly, meeting his gaze.

    "I wouldn't let that happen," he told me and I pursed my lips.

    Knowing there was no other choice, I sighed and took his outstretched hand. Hiccup pulled me up onto Toothless's back, and I sat in the saddle in front of him. It was a weird fit━a strange feeling to begin with. The leather dug into my thighs and I did my best to settle in comfortingly. I gripped the front of the saddle and Toothless purred, curious as to why I was riding him.