xx. Berserker Growth

renegadeschapter twenty

renegades
chapter twenty

    When I made it back, I didn't even let Hiccup finish his chat with Fishlegs. I took his arm and pulled him away with a, "We need to talk."

    Hiccup's eyes widened and stammered, "Ah━uh━okay."

    I pulled him all the way to Skulder's workbench. Without a word, I angrily set the tablets next to the first one, lining them up to show a story of the travellers coming to the island, finding the Groncicles and having them help guard their treasure.

    Hiccup's eyes grew even wider. "Where did you find those?"

    I propped my hands on my hips, glowering. "Mildew's."

    He frowned at me. "What do you━were you sneaking into his home?"

    "For good reason!" I said, jabbing my thumb at the tablets. The others started to surround us, gazing down at the tablets. Skulder was beyond amazed, frozen in shock as I gave him his years of searching right in front of him. Astrid and Revna had returned. The Twins and Snotlout were still not back, which was something I will worry about after I say this. They should have been here at least two hours ago. 

     "Mildew is trading the treasure and eggs to survive here," I went on angrily. "He has it stashed under a board in his home. While he's been making us do chores for him, finding Fungus, fixing his plants, getting him resources, he's been building up his treasure hoard to trade over when these pirates get here. He's been lying to us this entire time."

     Hiccup winced, "Es, I'm sure there's some explanation━"

    "She's right, Hiccup," Astrid said. And a flutter of gratitude filled my chest to hear my sister say those words. "Revna and I have been wondering how he was able to survive here for so long."

     "He has furs, tapestries, rugs," I counted them on my fingers. "He was weapons━and you know what was on one of those weapons?" I angrily grabbed my necklace and showed Hiccup the swirl. "This. This swirl on the necklace I was found with. An insignia. A tribe insignia."

     Hiccup started to realise what I was so mad about in the first place. His eyebrows lifted, "Es━"

    "No," I shook my head, shaking it at him. "Tell me the truth. Did you know? Do you know?"

    He blanched at me, "What? No. My father doesn't tell me━"

    "So, you're dad knows?" I demanded. "Your father knows and what━?" I shrugged, "━He just didn't bother to tell me? He let me hope and dream for the truth about where I'm from when he knew all along? There is a tribe out there, Hiccup! A tribe where I belong!" Astrid's eyes widened, a little hurt by my words.